What's new

Cursive instruction: Should it be in the schools?

I'm just curious to see what some of the responses here on B&B are as far as cursive goes. There are many people who are advocating for and against having cursive instruction in the schools. It is not included in the new Common Core standards. Many argue that there is no use for cursive anymore because we have computers and can type everything instead of writing it. Some also argue the fact that cursive is not as fast as printing. There are also people in my generation who cannot read cursive script, they are very few and far between but the idea is still the same. What are your thoughts? Do you think cursive instruction should be required? Do you think it is a useless skill that is no longer necessary?

I don't think *any* skill is ever truly useless. It does bother me that no matter how clean my cursive gets from practice, my grandson very well may not be able to read a postcard i send him due to the schools dropping the teaching of cursive from the curriculum.

Times change and so do the educational needs of kids sometimes things need to go

It sucks but I'm sure the decision didn't come lightly either

I do feel it should stay in schools. The ability to read cursive is a must. Many important documents such as the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights are written in script and will always be relevent to our children.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I just ask my wife, who teaches 1st grade in public schools. Cursive is taught starting in 2nd grade, but it not part of the core content. My daughter who is 8, said she worked on cursive capital letters today.

Not necessary, but they teach my grandkids to print. Better they learn to write IMHO. The keyboard skills are probably more important in the modern world but they seem to learn them almost instinctively

I can't read either of my immediate boss' handwriting. It is really annoying because I can't do what they want without asking them first... It wastes both of our time when minutes count.

I love cursive, its so graceful and beautiful.
I do not practice it enough. My granny would only write in it.
My daughter was introduced to it in 3rd or 4th and that was as far as it went. She is in 6th now .
I think it is equally important as typing .
I wish she would learn both fluently but I guess I'm old fashioned.

I think it's ridiculous. I'm 27 years old, and I learned print, cursive, AND computer typing when I was in school. If they could teach me to be fluent in all three back then, they should be able to do it now too.

I'd go on a rant, but this isn't the place for it.

Kids need more then just typing skills now though, excel, programming, and other computer skills are needed a lot more. That being said most teachers still teach it just depends on how up to time the kids are with all their subjects, if they need more time with different areas it gets cut from that particular class, or at least thats how i understand it

I do feel it should stay in schools. The ability to read cursive is a must. Many important documents such as the Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights are written in script and will always be relevent to our children.

Very valid point, I did not really want to go here but I'm pretty sure that certain entities would perfer that people DON'T read either of those two documents in the future.

...On another note,

I don't use cursive at all for every day writing (PSH... they said I'd be using it every day in college.. what a joke). However, I feel that learning cursive is an important part in every childs development of their own personal signature. While it is my understanding that technology will soon overtake the actual need for signature authentication: Nothing is classier than signing a letter, card, or invitation with your REAL personal signature. IMHO if you want to be a true gentleman, it is required.

My cursive is loads faster than my printing! And much tidier at high speed, too (not that either are that great, but comparatively...).

My cursive is loads faster than my printing! And much tidier at high speed, too (not that either are that great, but comparatively...).

Agreed. Unless I'm trying to be extremely legible, my cursive is ridiculously faster than my print.

i think it should still be taught for a few years, at least. Great art form that should never be lost. It has been around for much longer than computers and it may outlive them. Hee hee.

Top Bottom