What's new

Cursive instruction: Should it be in the schools?

A proper typing class in grade 8 was one of the best things I ever did in junior high.
That's definitely the case for a what I would guess is a sizable group of people. I think around the 8th grade is also a good time to teach it. Imagine flipping the tables and teaching cursive in 8th and typing in 3rd...I don't think it would work. Kids would brain dump it in favor of print and type. Typing as an elective, I'm all for. Typing as a replacement for cursive, no way (I know that wasn't your point). I never learned to type from a class. I learned it on internet chat rooms when they weren't so outwardly plagued with trash. I polished the skills through writing papers for school and message forums. A lot of my friends did the same, so a typing class was useless for a lot of my peers. It was offered as an elective in Jr High and HS, which I think was beneficial to quite a few. I guess my point in my early morning ramble is: Cursive = manditory, early. Typing = elective, later. Typing/print != cursive.

Out of curiosity, do they teach touch typing properly in schools? As in able to use a blank keyboard (or at least not look at the keyboard)? Or do they just say "here's a keyboard, these are the fingers you should use, type some stuff"?
IMO the latter is not very good use of time, it's no more effective than using a keyboard, for gaming, Internet chat etc. and letting the skill sink in subliminally.

When I was in school, touch typing was taught (and still on typewriters). Then again, cursive writing was not only taught, but graded. My wife is a high school teacher and considering that probably 80% of her students have nearly illegible handwriting, I feel cursive should still be taught and graded. Even manuscript writing has become neglected for the most part. :angry:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Out of curiosity, do they teach touch typing properly in schools? As in able to use a blank keyboard (or at least not look at the keyboard)? Or do they just say "here's a keyboard, these are the fingers you should use, type some stuff"?
IMO the latter is not very good use of time, it's no more effective than using a keyboard, for gaming, Internet chat etc. and letting the skill sink in subliminally.

Dunno if they still do, but they did way back when (a) I was in junior high and (b) the flag on the Falklands was blue and white with a yellow sun. Blank keyboard, don't look down ... graded on words per minute (mistakes cost you, so speedy accuracy was far more important than mere speed.)

I never was much good ... the teacher knew my father and promised to pass me so long as I didn't take typing again the next year ... but that's about the only thing I still use from jr high today ... using it right now as I type this out, actually.

This thread makes me laugh. My nephew in Atlanta was never taught cursive. My mother, being the angry old lady she is, goes off on this topic every chance she gets whether prompted or not. When the bill came up in my home state of North Carolina we passes around articles to family and said they are going to call it 'Angela's Law' after my mom. She was not amused but happy to see it gain attention even though all 3 of my kids learned cursive already and are either in middle school or high school.

I don't know what they do now. But they used to make covers to put over the keyboard so you couldn't see your hands or the keys. I don't think the current generation doesn't have any problem with typing.

I was in a training class a couple of months ago where we had to write a short essay to answer one of the final test questions. Out of about ten students in the class, I was the only one who wrote my essay in cursive. The instructor actually complemented me, first on remembering how to write pure cursive, and second for writing it legibly. I hadn't realized how unusual cursive writing has become these days until that moment. It bummed me out.

They ought to teach calligraphy in art class. I really appreciate that I learned cursive in school; however, I think I would have rather done calligraphy in art class than make a sculpture or painting.
I think you have to be old enough to take it seriously too. Maybe middle-school or highschool?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mind you, I'm not trying to be nostalgic (
proxy.php
“Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar”. E.B. White
"), but 'yes' indeed, it needs to be taught (again [before it becomes a 'lost art']), in school! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"I go to school the youth to learn the future"
. Robert Frost

Last edited:
Many public schools do teach "touch typing". Ours does it with a software program. Kids are taught in the same basic manner I was taught in the 1960's. That is: finger placement and exercises that gradually add letters and numbers into play. In the 1960s I was given a manual Royal typewriter. When you got good you were given access to an electric typewriter. Today we use a PC based program. These programs automatically score their progress (accuracy and speed) often via a game motif. Most kids enjoy it. Many become very successful.

I've been giving it a lot of thought lately. I may be biased, but from my perspective, I'm being paid for my engineering background secondary and my written communication skills primary. Yes, the written word does factor into this at various levels. It is a tool like a gun is a tool. Anyone can put pen to paper or pull the trigger, but only skill will achieve the result you are looking for. Typing is less a skill and more a rote task.

Perhaps handwriting triggers the creative centers of our brains (I know there have been small studies done), but I do find it easier writing a technical manual if I hash most of it out in my notebook before actually typing anything.

I am torn. When I was in school they were no longer making Latin mandatory. At the time I thought that was cool. So I took French. I would have made a lot more use of Latin. So...cursive is not as necessary, but I think it should be taught for a well- rounded education.

I've been giving it a lot of thought lately. I may be biased, but from my perspective, I'm being paid for my engineering background secondary and my written communication skills primary. Yes, the written word does factor into this at various levels. It is a tool like a gun is a tool. Anyone can put pen to paper or pull the trigger, but only skill will achieve the result you are looking for. Typing is less a skill and more a rote task.

Perhaps handwriting triggers the creative centers of our brains (I know there have been small studies done), but I do find it easier writing a technical manual if I hash most of it out in my notebook before actually typing anything.

I'm the same way.

I have an awful memory (even Lumosity thinks so), and I'll forget something I type within an hour... if even that long.

The only way I have half a chance of remembering something is if I hand write it, especially if I slow down and try to write as neatly as time permits.

in the modern world its not needed, if there is an intrest it will be learnt but i don't think it should be made mandatory.
there's some horrendous cursive out there and I'd rather they had printed.
this is gandhi's sample
http://www.google.com/search?q=gand...%2Ftp-youngworld%2Farticle2547793.ece;318;287

People can't print either... The excuse of I can type everything out is bullpucky. Enforce some sort of legible handwriting.

Before I grabbed my FP's and started working on my handwriting, my printing didn't look much better, if any, than his cursive. Since we're so modernized, everyone prints. I think handwriting and letterwriting is becoming a lost art. Heck, I even subscribe to a company that will make, print, stuff, stamp and send cards out for you. It's all done on the web and you never lay hands on the card. Yes, it's easy and convenient, but I don't think it will truly have the punch a well written card does, in print or cursive

Many public schools do teach "touch typing". Ours does it with a software program. Kids are taught in the same basic manner I was taught in the 1960's. That is: finger placement and exercises that gradually add letters and numbers into play. In the 1960s I was given a manual Royal typewriter. When you got good you were given access to an electric typewriter. Today we use a PC based program. These programs automatically score their progress (accuracy and speed) often via a game motif. Most kids enjoy it. Many become very successful.

I had a client that when I actually typed on my computer keyboard, she was amazed. She's in her 60's and I'm in my 40's. Didn't think anyone fairly young could type. Said mostly they teach keyboarding in schools now. Sounded like hunt and peck the way she described. I told her that I actually took a typing class on a TYPEWRITER in high school. Not very good at it, but fairly proficient.

How in the heck will these kids sign checks or contracts when they are older? In all caps with crayons? Seriously wth is going on with this country

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had a client that when I actually typed on my computer keyboard, she was amazed. She's in her 60's and I'm in my 40's. Didn't think anyone fairly young could type. Said mostly they teach keyboarding in schools now. Sounded like hunt and peck the way she described. I told her that I actually took a typing class on a TYPEWRITER in high school. Not very good at it, but fairly proficient.
In eight grade I was the only male in a class full of girls. Oh, the horror :001_smile. On the plus side, I got real good at not looking at my hands while typing- I was busy scoping.

I'd settle for just being able to read what most folks write these days. Legible handwriting is part of being able to communicate effectively. I rated student essays for a while while I was between jobs, you wouldn't believe how hard it was to read some of them.

As some others have pointed out, I think the ability to write in cursive is handy. I know I can remember notes taken in class better when I write them down. If I use my laptop to take notes, I don't seem to remember nearly as well.
When taking notes in class, there is no way I would get nearly as much information written down if I simply printed everything. Cursive writing is so much faster than hand printing.
So yes, I believe cursive writing is still a useful skill that should be taught in schools today, along with reading skills, comprehension skills, and critical thinking skills.

Top Bottom