What's new

Current set up/ Daily Driver

This is my current Razor, Soap, and blades.
Gillette Fatboy E-1
Taylor of Old Bond Street (Tobacco Leaf)
Feather Blades
Looking for recommendations and different ideas

Attachments

• PXL_20240102_140955525.jpg
    PXL_20240102_140955525.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 6

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you want to try something different then how about a vintage open comb, such as an Old Type, New, or New Improved? Perhaps try an SE such as an Ever Ready or Gem. For a real change you could try a shavette or Feather style AC razor, but be prepared for a steep learning curve.

A hard soap, perhaps in stick form, Tabac would be a great choice and you can get it in puck form if you prefer.

If you like sharp blades then perhaps Bic Chrome Platinum, or go milder and try an Astra, a Voskhod, or buy a sample pack.

Try a different brush - boar, badger, horse, synthetic and try face or bowl lathering.

Try some classic aftershaves - Tabac, Brut, Mennen Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva.

Plenty of choices there for little money and you might just find a new favourite 👍

My ‘daily driver’ is a Wolfman WR1 which just ticks all my boxes.

I also go for denser badger brushes, especially Simpsons, Rudy Vey or Shavemac.

My ’top-tier’ blades in no particular order:
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)

If you want to try something different then how about a vintage open comb, such as an Old Type, New, or New Improved? Perhaps try an SE such as an Ever Ready or Gem. For a real change you could try a shavette or Feather style AC razor, but be prepared for a steep learning curve.

A hard soap, perhaps in stick form, Tabac would be a great choice and you can get it in puck form if you prefer.

If you like sharp blades then perhaps Bic Chrome Platinum, or go milder and try an Astra, a Voskhod, or buy a sample pack.

Try a different brush - boar, badger, horse, synthetic and try face or bowl lathering.

Try some classic aftershaves - Tabac, Brut, Mennen Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva.

Plenty of choices there for little money and you might just find a new favourite 👍
Yeah, I think I'm going to try the Tabac next. I'll keep an eye out for open comb.

My ‘daily driver’ is a Wolfman WR1 which just ticks all my boxes.

I also go for denser badger brushes, especially Simpsons, Rudy Vey or Shavemac.

My ’top-tier’ blades in no particular order:
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)
That's the brush I got right now. I think it's great.
Simpson

Attachments

• PXL_20240102_141029855.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240102_141029855.MP.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 5
Different day, different choice...

Now...Just for me:
My secret of traditional shave zen (50 yrs now) is variety, but the secret of variety, like the secret of all spices, is knowing when to use it and how to use it.

BFX

English Gillette Super Slimtwist
German Wilkinson Sword
Arko stick
Dscosmetics synth brush
Old Spice + Nivea Men cream

Different day, different choice...

Now...Just for me:
My secret of traditional shave zen (50 yrs now) is variety, but the secret of variety, like the secret of all spices, is knowing when to use it and how to use it.

BFX
Sounds Good,

I use a rotation of Straight Razors wherein I have a primary which switches every 4mo or so. To complement, I use one of the following DEs for my cleanup/final pass depending on how froggy I feel; or whether I actually shaved with a Straight:

Feather ASD2
Mühle R89
Gillette Red Tip
RR GC .84
Mühle R41

Blades are entirely too subjective. I recommend putting as many through their paces on a 3-shave trial to determine tops for you. I’ve trialed well over 50 different blades to determine what works best for me in each razor.

I also use a wide rotation of brushes, mostly naturals, for my Soaps of the Month.

I use a rotation of Straight Razors wherein I have a primary which switches every 4mo or so. To complement, I use one of the following DEs for my cleanup/final pass depending on how froggy I feel; or whether I actually shaved with a Straight:

Feather ASD2
Mühle R89
Gillette Red Tip
RR GC .84
Mühle R41

Blades are entirely too subjective. I recommend putting as many through their paces on a 3-shave trial to determine tops for you. I’ve trialed well over 50 different blades to determine what works best for me in each razor.

I also use a wide rotation of brushes, mostly naturals, for my Soaps of the Month.
Don't know how to shave with a straight razor. You got any recommendations?

Daily driver:*
Rex Envoy

Favorite blades:*
Nacet
GSB
Wilkinson Sword (India)

Favorite soaps:*
Santa Maria Del Flore
Pre de Provence no 63
Tabac

Favorite aftershaves:*
Old Spice