What's new

cupping

Hi.

I have a 3" Latigo strop and after a couple of months of using it I'm starting to notice that it looks like the blade is not in contact with the last inch on one side of the strop. Is there anything I can do to sort this out?

thanks

/mikael

Wow never noticed cupping on latigo but plenty of cupping on english bridle.

Have you tried laying it down on a flat surface with a few books on it?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I find that over time Latigo may move slightly. I kind of "wrestle" mine back into shape by a gentle pushing and stretching of the leather. I find mine work best with a slight bit of crown...high center, lower edges. This flattens out under the light pressure of stropping and resists cupping.

With the strop hanging I start at the top, gently squeezing the strop side to side between the fingers and thumb on one hand. I squeeze a slight bow into it (the center higher than the edges) and then draw my hand down the length. Repeat a few times, lay the strop flat on a table and run your hand down in to flatten it slightly.

Bridle on the other hand, at least all the types I have tried, is far more prone to cupping and once cupped does not want to flatten easily. In the end I decided not to use it for my strops, despite the nice draw.

Tony

Many thanks. I'll give wrestling a try tonight :thumbup:

I find that over time Latigo may move slightly. I kind of "wrestle" mine back into shape by a gentle pushing and stretching of the leather. I find mine work best with a slight bit of crown...high center, lower edges. This flattens out under the light pressure of stropping and resists cupping.

With the strop hanging I start at the top, gently squeezing the strop side to side between the fingers and thumb on one hand. I squeeze a slight bow into it (the center higher than the edges) and then draw my hand down the length. Repeat a few times, lay the strop flat on a table and run your hand down in to flatten it slightly.

Bridle on the other hand, at least all the types I have tried, is far more prone to cupping and once cupped does not want to flatten easily. In the end I decided not to use it for my strops, despite the nice draw.

Tony

Top Bottom