What's new

Crushed saltine crackers in milk?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Funny thing is...Goldie was my father's mother's name. True story. :001_smile
I like the older names. That was the funnest part of being a geriatric nurse all those years! And now those names are making a comeback! I even met a baby named "Gertrude" the other day. How cool is that?!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like to eat the sardines, then crush crackers into the can juice.

The life of a hobo is not glamorous.
You and my Grannie would have gotten along famously my friend! She and I ate sardines and crackers as a treat. Sweet, sweet lady.

I wanna party with that dude.
F1640.png

Clarence was the main bully at the Catholic school I went to growing up. I'd like to meet him in a dark alley now. Just kidding....I forgave him a long time ago. :001_smile

Perhaps I should send him a 12 pack of Arko sticks.
Catholic school that had nuns, or lay teachers? I'm thinking the latter. If there were nuns, Clarence would have been short lived!

You nailed it my friend. My Dad was dirt poor from the time he was about 3 or 4 until after WW2. You ate or you didn't, and choices were limited. We've had it pretty good in the US of A for a long time, too long by the looks of the amount of food I see people throw away.

My grandmother taught me how to cook. Not just good meals but hard times meals. One sausage for a family of four? Gravy and biscuits will stretch it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Clarence was my dad's first name, but he hated it and went by his middle name, Dale.

My maternal grandmother's name was Houri. Pronounced "hyoo-rye" and apparently (to her intense disgust) the name of a famous racehorse at the time she was born in the late 1800s. Her dad's name was Meshach so I guess odd names ran in that family.

I was amused to note when I first moved to Canada in 2004 that I suddenly started running into a lot of women with names like Lillian, Vivian, Edith, etc. -- and all of the ones I met were in their 30s at most.

O.H.

When I was a kid, my father would crush up saltine crackers with his hands, put them in a bowl and pour milk on them. He would eat it like cereal. It was one of his favorite snacks.

Have any of you ever heard of this? It still seems strange to me. :001_smile

Until he got a little better off and switched to Grape Nuts, my dad had “Cow Whoopeee”, crushed saltines with milk and honey on them for breakfast.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Yes. I have heard of this before.

My father was notorious for his radish sandwhich. People that grew up during the depression, as my father did, made some weird things in my opinion.
Anyone for rendered bacon fat schmeered on bread?
My Grandfather who also lived during the depression, got me hooked on mayonnaise sandwiches. I still every once in a while will make one to honor my wonderful memories of him.

Top Bottom