What's new

Crushed saltine crackers in milk?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
When I was a kid, my father would crush up saltine crackers with his hands, put them in a bowl and pour milk on them. He would eat it like cereal. It was one of his favorite snacks.

Have any of you ever heard of this? It still seems strange to me. :001_smile

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When I was a kid, my father would crush up saltine crackers with his hands, put them in a bowl and pour milk on them. He would eat it like cereal. It was one of his favorite snacks.

The crackers maybe not so strange, the salt on the crackers mixed with milk seems a little odd.

My grandparents and parents taught me and my siblings this. Only difference we use a glass instead of the bowl.

My father would do something similar, but used Ritz crackers and a little sugar with the milk. I never knew where the idea came from as he is the only one I knew to do so.

That was a favorite of my mother. Many times she would have it for supper on Sunday. I always attributed it to her growing up poor during the depression (she was born in 1925). I will admit that I eat it too, although rarely.....memories.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Rumour has it Nikola Tesla lived almost exclusively on that in his later years. He had an obsession with counting things in threes, and evidently found saltines admirable because each one was the same size as all the rest. That made doing the math easy, as he always calculated the cubic quantity of his food.

O.H.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is a straight up Southern delicacy. Is your neighbor from the south?
Yes. Half of the Flint area of Michigan is a bunch of transferred "hillbillies" like my mom's family.

I always think of Hank Junior's song "a Country Boy can Survive" when I think of my neighborhood when I was growing up. Coon dogs, Jam Sessions with truly werld class pickers.... HORSES that were half broke, just waiting to throw us kids off.... A time forever lost my friend!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes. I have heard of this before.

My father was notorious for his radish sandwhich. People that grew up during the depression, as my father did, made some weird things in my opinion.
Anyone for rendered bacon fat schmeered on bread?
You nailed it my friend. My Dad was dirt poor from the time he was about 3 or 4 until after WW2. You ate or you didn't, and choices were limited. We've had it pretty good in the US of A for a long time, too long by the looks of the amount of food I see people throw away.

Top Bottom