What's new

Cremo as Super Later Addative

Gentlemen:

As a relatively new wet shaver, only having been at the hobby for close to two years, I wanted to impart some of my experience in connection with building super lathers.

There are soaps that I adore, (my favorite is Tabac,) but when it comes to some shave sticks such as La Toja, even though they work well, I feel that soaps like those benefit from an additive ingredient. This ingredient, good friends, is Cremo Shave Cream.

A small amount mixed in with a mild shave soap increases the slickness exponentially! Originally, I tried mixing Cremo with La Toja and on another occasion tried Cremo in tandem with Proraso white in the tub. The results were outstanding! The blade glide was second to none and I was able to effortlessly achieve consistent BBS shaves with fewer passes.

I'm curious to know if any other gentlemen here have employed a similar tactic. If not, what is your favorite super lather recipe?

Cheers, friends!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm curious to know if any other gentlemen here have employed a similar tactic. If not, what is your favorite super lather recipe?

I've been doing the same the last three shaves but using Nivea Sensitive cream. I just now finished a shave using a superlather of Nivea Sensitive and P&B Iceni.

MMOC, flipped blade. I cant remember how many shaves on it but I think 8 now.

Nivea superlather with P&B Iceni.

My best shave yet...

Superlather with Wickham next.

I really like Nivea cream and I'm using it in a superlather more to add some scent to it than anything else, but it sure does work.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I don't like cremo, it clogged my pores and got a few giant zits when I tried it years ago. I just add a few drops of glycerin if I want added slickness. This bottle costs $3, and will last for years.
20200111_143413_kindlephoto-16299231.jpg

SUPER LATHER!!!

For about 3 years I've been adding a not-quite almond sized dollop and mixing in my lather bowl using a brush loaded with Arko. This is typically my "it's Monday morning and I hate that the weekend is over" shave lather, hahaha.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I melted a puck of VDH glycerine soap then squirted about 1/2 a tube of the mentholated Cremo into it, mixed it and stuck it in the fridge to harden it. Made an excellent super slick soap.

I've been doing the same the last three shaves but using Nivea Sensitive cream. I just now finished a shave using a superlather of Nivea Sensitive and P&B Iceni.

I really like Nivea cream and I'm using it in a superlather more to add some scent to it than anything else, but it sure does work.

I agree! Nivea Cream is great stuff and the scent is wonderful! Great idea!

At one time I used uberlather almost daily. Now that I usually face lather it is rare than I use a superlather or uberlather. When I do, however, I usually use Proraso in a tube. The last time I did an uberlather, however, I used T&H Ultimate Comfort Cream, AoS Sandalwood (tallow formula), and glycerin. The time before that I used Proraso, Williams, and glycerin.

Every now and then I'll use Cremo as a preshave - especially if I'm going to use a cream or soap that isn't particularly slick. It slicks up the final lather nicely.

I melted a puck of VDH glycerine soap then squirted about 1/2 a tube of the mentholated Cremo into it, mixed it and stuck it in the fridge to harden it. Made an excellent super slick soap.
That actually sounds not only clever, but really effective! Well done! 👍

I've been making Cremogena for quite a while now. It's the lather I judge all other soaps & creams by:
Simply combine equal parts of Cremo and Neutrogena for Sensitive skin. It's lather is intense and it's slicker than anything else you can legally make at home.

Top Bottom