What's new

Creative Cussing Was Involved

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Ahhh, Sunday. Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund and I did the weekly garbage run. Started a batch of bread. Realized I didn't have much else planned for the day. Mrs. Hippie started laundry.

I was cleaning up in the kitchen when the thought occurred to me, "My. Sounds like the old washer's been filling for a while. Better check that out."

It was, I did, and that's when the creative cussing started. Long story shorter our old washer decided it was a good day to die. Mostly we have tile floors, and I have a wet/dry vac. Some of the carpet in my office and the bedroom was wet. More vacuuming. Set up some fans. We had planned on different floors, so the baseboards have been off a while. Years. That's how it goes.

Coaxed the old machine to drain, fill, rinse and spin. Mrs. Hippie is amazing that way. Moved a bunch of stuff to dry ground, hauled out the old machine. A dry day, fortunately. The carpets were pretty much dry by bedtime.

We had to go to town for some farm supplies on Monday. Mrs. Hippie decided she wanted to replace the laundry tub as well, so we hit the store where we bought the last one about 10 years ago. That went in the truck with the bale of shavings and chick starter bags. Tuesday I went back to town and bought a new washer. Wednesday I put in the new washer, then had to get the new laundry tub in because of how the drain works in there. Sometimes the tub gets a little backwash from the washer.

So the new laundry tub has legs 1.5 inches shorter than the old one, and a 2 inch greater depth. Without going into too much detail let's just say that I had an engineering job, plus another trip to town, and way too much fooling around but I got it in there. I had to move a wall shelf up to to do it; just a minor annoyance, all told. Oh, and she wanted a new backsplash behind the tub faucet set.

I think I went through my entire vocabulary of objurgation, denunciation, plain old wash-your-mouth-out profanity and "Change the Sacred Name of Arkansas" about three times through. I drank some coffee. I forgot to shave on Wednesday. My back feels like Magillah the Killah has mopped the ring with me. Well. If you've been wondering where I've wandered off to this week, there's your answer.

Takeaway for the masses: Get a decent wet/dry shop vac and know where it is.

O.H.

I rarely get a project done with just one trip to a hardware store. I needed some tapcon screws so I thought time would be saved it if went to the small hardware store. I found the screws but they didn’t have any concrete bits. My option was buy the container with 20 screws and the bit for 28.00 or go to Home Depot and spend 12.00. Home Depot it was.

Living an hour away from the hardware store and finding out I'm one bolt short on a project is one of those reliable triggers of lyrical prose poetry. :)

O.H.

I used to over- buy when I had a project so I wouldn’t have to make another extra trip. That process has led to a tote of random parts I will probably never use again. Now I buy what I need and check my tote first. It’s a good thought, but it’s always a trip to the store.

We have a few handymen in the area and people can’t understand why they charge what seems like a high price. Typically it’s a trip to figure it out, then a trip to the hardware store. No one has every part you need. Some actually have complained about how little time it took without figuring in trip changes. My solution is: If you’re going to complain, do it yourself. Their response is they can’t do it and that’s why they hire it. I just smile.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ahhh, Sunday. Princess Flapdoodle the Operatic Dachshund and I did the weekly garbage run. Started a batch of bread. Realized I didn't have much else planned for the day. Mrs. Hippie started laundry.

I was cleaning up in the kitchen when the thought occurred to me, "My. Sounds like the old washer's been filling for a while. Better check that out."

It was, I did, and that's when the creative cussing started. Long story shorter our old washer decided it was a good day to die. Mostly we have tile floors, and I have a wet/dry vac. Some of the carpet in my office and the bedroom was wet. More vacuuming. Set up some fans. We had planned on different floors, so the baseboards have been off a while. Years. That's how it goes.

Coaxed the old machine to drain, fill, rinse and spin. Mrs. Hippie is amazing that way. Moved a bunch of stuff to dry ground, hauled out the old machine. A dry day, fortunately. The carpets were pretty much dry by bedtime.

We had to go to town for some farm supplies on Monday. Mrs. Hippie decided she wanted to replace the laundry tub as well, so we hit the store where we bought the last one about 10 years ago. That went in the truck with the bale of shavings and chick starter bags. Tuesday I went back to town and bought a new washer. Wednesday I put in the new washer, then had to get the new laundry tub in because of how the drain works in there. Sometimes the tub gets a little backwash from the washer.

So the new laundry tub has legs 1.5 inches shorter than the old one, and a 2 inch greater depth. Without going into too much detail let's just say that I had an engineering job, plus another trip to town, and way too much fooling around but I got it in there. I had to move a wall shelf up to to do it; just a minor annoyance, all told. Oh, and she wanted a new backsplash behind the tub faucet set.

I think I went through my entire vocabulary of objurgation, denunciation, plain old wash-your-mouth-out profanity and "Change the Sacred Name of Arkansas" about three times through. I drank some coffee. I forgot to shave on Wednesday. My back feels like Magillah the Killah has mopped the ring with me. Well. If you've been wondering where I've wandered off to this week, there's your answer.

O.H.
Jobs well done deserve the bacon emoji. I’ve been ummmmm
“adjusting” my vocabulary since we’re around our 8.5 month old granddaughter.

Some days are better than others. ;)

Old Hippie said:

IMG_4733.jpeg

During the first round of the ant war battles I remembered my 20 year old shop vac was at my son’s house. I made the decision to donate the old one to him and bought this. We will see if it holds up as well as the Craftsman did.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There is a lot of cussin' goes on around here, but it's not creative.

It's just the good old fashioned @#$%! *&##$.

I live an hour round trip from town so it's about half of your distance, but at today's gas prices....

I got 5 gallons of gas for the mower yesterday and it was $19 something. And that's here in a state that is better than others. I use the Kroger fuel points whenever I can.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
If I’m working on a home project and the “French” cussin is heard it usually draws a crowd. The onlookers usually offer helpful suggestions like are you ok, can we get you anything, should you take a break or can we get you a cup of tea. French cussin could mean I’m in over my head and I’ve just created a bigger problem…with the best intentions.

Top Bottom