What's new

Cream vs soap

This morning I whipped up Taylor of Old Bond lemon/lime. I had forgotten how easy a cream is to load. I usually use soaps.

I thought about it for a while and ended up buying the sampler pact from west coast. I want to try a few but I have noticed my sons chin is raw after he shaves. I talked with him and he is not getting a good lather.

So I get to try a few, really just want to smell some and he can have them. Should last him a year as he is 14 and only shaves once maybe twice a week.

I started with TOBS cream and use that as a gauge of what good lather is. So when I use a soap, I try to get the lather to match the lather from some good old TOBS. Worked so far.

I honestly don't have an opinion. Researching this, I found a general consensus of:
Creams lather easier and have more powerful scents.
Soaps provide a barely noticeable superior performance and an ungodly shelf life.

I'm a cream guy and I've only recently begun experimenting with soaps since the beginning of this year. I have to say that I find creams easier to lather up to a nice rich consistency. And since I'm not the most patient person in the world, during the past week, I've begun adding a very small dollop of cream to the brush after I load it up with soap before moving to the lather bowl. I guess some would call this a super lather. I have to say the name is apt. I'm still experimenting and trying to perfect my soap lathering ability. I have gotten some very nice and rich, slick lathers from just soap. But it does take some time. When I don't have anyone barking at me to hurry up, I will take my time with just the soap. I expect that I will be mixing it in the future with soap, cream and soap/cream combinations. This is part of what I enjoy about all of my AD purchasing of stuff. The variation that it allows. Different razor, cream/soap, aftershave, blade and even bowl every day of the week. Awesomeness.

Last edited:
I find both creams and soaps to be easy to lather ... generally. They do take a different approach, as creams already have more water in them. I prefer soaps, but I think your plan on passing on creams to your son is smart. They take less effort to lather than soaps, in my opinion. Also, the creams I have used, both Captain's and TOBS, have strong scents, which I enjoy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

In general, I find creams to be a bit more moisturizing and a little easier to lather. Soaps tend to be a little slicker, and mabey have a touch denser lather. This is just my general impression, however, and there are plenty of soap and cream counter examples.

Looking at a couple of creams in my collection, the ingredients look just about like soap. The main difference is more water, a preponderance of potassium hydroxide over sodium hydroxide, and the addition of anti-fungals and anti-bacterials, which are needed with the higher water content. Also many creams contain myristic acid (a saturated fat similar to stearic acid), which I do not recall seeing in any soap.

I used cream today, but find I use a soap probably 4 out of 6 shaving days. shaving for me teaches patience and the soap rewards the patient.

...anti-fungals and anti-bacterials, which are needed with the higher water content.
Potentially helpful, a dedicated antimicrobial isn't an absolute requirement, in this context. For example, most Harris (SC) offerings have none.

I agree...creams don't seem to get the airtime of soaps. They are a pleasure to use, easy to lather and usually great cushion. But like many others, I prefer soaps. I do use creams occasionally and usually enjoy them.

I prefer creams. I like soaps, but creams are just easier and work well.

The big advantage most soaps have is that they tend to last for a lot more shaves than creams.

INcoming newbie question. What's the most common way of lathering up a cream? Do you put a small glob in your bowl, add water, then swirl for 60 seconds or so? I HAVE been just swirling the stuff while it's in the can or jar it came in, for 10 seconds, then brushing it on my face.

INcoming newbie question. What's the most common way of lathering up a cream? Do you put a small glob in your bowl, add water, then swirl for 60 seconds or so? I HAVE been just swirling the stuff while it's in the can or jar it came in, for 10 seconds, then brushing it on my face.

For a beginner I recommend:

Smear about 1/2" (slightly more or less depending on the brand you are using) of the shaving cream on each side of your wet cheeks.
Run water over your shaving brush, shake of excess water and start distributing the cream over the area you plan to shave.
Initially the consistency will be too dry, but you should still manage to create a thin even film.
Wet the tips (only) of your shaving brush with a little more water and continue gently massaging your face with the brush.
Repeat as necessary.
No force is needed.
You can use circular stroke on the cheeks and vertical (paint) strokes on the neck area.
It will work better if you add water incrementally, and the thin film should start transforming itself into a rich lather.

Good luck.

B.

Albert good for you to look it up on you tube.

There are a few ways to whip up a lather. Ie Bowl, or face and a lot of little techniques.

I have found putting the cream or soap right on my face to be the easiest and fastest. A lot of Gents feel that creating lather in a bowl is the best way to learn how to create a lather for consistency. I agree with that, but I feel working the lather into your beard does a better job of softening the hairs.

If one builds a lather in the bowl the thought is to get it onto your beard and start shaving. When you build it on your face it really gets that extra time to soften your beard.

I also too refer to you tube.

I have used the smear on my face technique as well, but prefer to just smear a little dollup right into the top of a wet brush and just build the lather on my face.

Top Bottom