What's new

Cream expiration....how long?

Like most here, i have really over extended in my purchasing of creams and soaps. When i look at many of the creams, some have 6M and others 12M on the containers. Looking at my supply, i have a good 2-3 years worth sitting there, so want to understand how time affects creams.

My question is, should i really be paying attention to the expiration timelines? Since they do not have actual dates, i can only assume that its 6 months / 12 months after you open it, but not sure.

Anyone here been rocking a cream that they have used for a few years? Any discernable difference (i.e. any indication that it has expired)?

Some things that might happen with creams over time:
- They curdle (I believe that is the right word - the ingredients separate from each other). This can also be caused by temperatures, known to happen to Salter creams. Above certain temperatures, a liquid layer will be on top of the cream. This is not dangerous, just mix it back in with the rest and leave it in the fridge overnight, it will turn back to normal.
- They dry out. Happens to creams over time. This is not dangerous, you just load it more like a soap. It may take more time to load, but it will usually lather just fine.
- Nasty things grow in them. Real soap will by its nature not mold, this is not true for creams. This is one of the things preservatives are for. Added moisture to the tub will make the cream mold easier (added moisture = bad). Don't let water from your brush drip into the cream, and leave the tub open during your shave to dry out any.

I doubt this list is complete, but it covers what I've gathered during my time reading. People have used creams many years beyond its stamped date, and get as good shaves as with anything else. If you know you will not use a cream for a long time, it is best stored in a cool, dry place.

Thanks eth. Although i am planning on selling the creams i don't like, i wanted to figure out whether i should be selling the creams that i like, but that i maybe wont use all that much due to excessive supply. Your explanation makes me feel a lot better about my hoarding of creams. There is hope...albiet slight.

- They curdle (I believe that is the right word - the ingredients separate from each other). This can also be caused by temperatures, known to happen to Salter creams. Above certain temperatures, a liquid layer will be on top of the cream. This is not dangerous, just mix it back in with the rest and leave it in the fridge overnight, it will turn back to normal.
- They dry out. Happens to creams over time. This is not dangerous, you just load it more like a soap. It may take more time to load, but it will usually lather just fine.
- Nasty things grow in them. Real soap will by its nature not mold, this is not true for creams. This is one of the things preservatives are for. Added moisture to the tub will make the cream mold easier (added moisture = bad). Don't let water from your brush drip into the cream, and leave the tub open during your shave to dry out any.

I doubt this list is complete, but it covers what I've gathered during my time reading. People have used creams many years beyond its stamped date, and get as good shaves as with anything else. If you know you will not use a cream for a long time, it is best stored in a cool, dry place.

+1.. excellent advice.

Very informative post my friend, thank you.

I'm not really a cream user (I only have CO Bigelow and Derby), but that info is good to know.

Right, the 6M and 12M countdowns start when you open the container. Those are probably conservative estimates, and it is not as if an old shaving cream will give you food poisoning.

As mentioned, ingredients and processing are likely make a difference for longevity, plus the storage environment. Some creams also seem to get runny in hot weather (TOBS) while others harden (Speick). Mostly that is just a nuisance, though: the cream is still good. With paraben-free formulations, new creams probably will not last as long as old ones.

I have a tub of Nancy Boy signature scent that has been open for almost 30 months and is still going strong - but it has a couple types of parabens in it. I believe they have since removed the parabens, and http://www.nancyboy.com/Signature-Shave-Cream-3p1.htm says to use "within 6-9 months of purchase". I have another tub of TOBS avocado that has also been open for over two years, but I think it is also an older paraben formulation. Current TOBS production does not have parabens, so it may not last as long. Neither cream shows much sign of aging yet, but I am making an effort to use them up.

Some folks keep their supplies in the refrigerator. I do not think we have any hard data about that technique, but cooler temperatures tend to slow down the growth of any organism, as well as any chemical reactions that might be happening.

Some folks keep their supplies in the refrigerator. I do not think we have any hard data about that technique, but cooler temperatures tend to slow down the growth of any organism, as well as any chemical reactions that might be happening.
That's why I do it. It makes logical sense that it would slow down the deterioration of the tub creams. When I'm paying for quality creams, I'll take the extra step to protect my investment. And it surely can't hurt to keep them at a constant cool temperature.

I have one cream in a tub that has dried out quite a bit after months of nonuse. The simple solution for me was to put a little in a bowl and not shake the excess waater out the brush before lathering

I would imagine that would make your fridge smell a bit interesting. I don't think I would be allowed to keep my stuff in the fridge!

I do understand the fridge re:cooler temperature, but what about the moisture from the fridge? Doesn't that defeat the purpose since the fridge is a really moist place?

...don't worry about expiration dates.......

........as i have mentioned before ........ i bought the 10 year old expired Lavanda shaving cream from Shaveabuck....

....sure it was blue-greenish, it was kinda chunky......... but it works and smells great.......... so no problem...

I would imagine that would make your fridge smell a bit interesting. I don't think I would be allowed to keep my stuff in the fridge!

I do understand the fridge re:cooler temperature, but what about the moisture from the fridge? Doesn't that defeat the purpose since the fridge is a really moist place?
No smell from my creams. As soon as I take a tub out of the shipping package I spend the 10-15 minutes cleaning the entire tub (lid, all screw ridges, etc.). It then goes right into the fridge, and there is no smell. When I use one, I dip the tips of the brush in and do a partial swirl, and then wipe around the rim with toilet paper (if it even needs it at all). Then right back in the fridge at the end of my shave. Never a scent comes from the closed tub.

Actually, fridges are not moisture laden, but dry. Notice when you pull a cold item out of the fridge that it is dry, and only becomes moist after it is out in room temperature for a while.

I'll admit I may sound a little anal talking about cleaning my cream tubs and keeping them in the fridge, but I like them neat and clean with no scent on the outside of the tub. The extra few minutes I spend a few times a year gives me a top shelf enjoyable product that I derive a lot of pleasure from using. To each his own. :001_smile

Last edited:
As a side note - would you use your finger to get a small bit of cream for bown lathering, a spatula/spoon, or the brush? A clean spoon would leave the fewest bacteria, I assume.

I have a GFT Rose cream in a pot which is past its 12 months "open lid" date. It still works as averagely as the day I got it...just the scent is a bit weaker.

I have Speick AS and ASB, which have 9 month "open lids" on them. These still work the same as the day I got them (which was like 18 months ago), no rash/allergy/deformities/mutations, just the scent is a little weaker and the AS I feel is not as bracing (but that could be down to improvements in my shaving technique).

I can't vouch for any other products. Interestingly, I'Coloniali has 24 month lids on some of its products, and other brands have no lids at all (wonder if that means they're everlasting or made out of pure preservative...)

I raised this on another thread: I have a theory that the expiry on pots might be more meaningful than on a tube because the pot has more exposure to the environment, and more folks probably tend to dip brush/spatula/finger/other appendage into the pot than they would down the eye of a tube. When my rotation reaches it, I could run an experiment on Pen's BB as I have 1 each of the tube and the superluxe jar box-fresh and still in cellophane. (The things some of us might do in the name of science...)

As a side note - would you use your finger to get a small bit of cream for bown lathering, a spatula/spoon, or the brush? A clean spoon would leave the fewest bacteria, I assume.

Lucidor, I believe that's right. I'm no expert but my understanding is that where there is water, there is bacteria (or at least the potential for it). And because cream is made with water, there is already some inherent potential for bacteria unless a preservative is incorporated. Fiddling with the contents of the container just increases the risk of introducing further bacteria, so a clean implement would be ideal.

In practice, I wonder how serious this issue is - as long as you're not sharing the jar, it's really only your own bacteria you'd be introducing...BUT the cream may be an inviting environment for your own bacteria, and it could allow the bacteria to multiply to a level that your body might not tolerate (leading to maybe some skin infections or irritation).

Then again, is it a major concern? I believe the most dangerous thing (from a bug perspective) in one's bathroom is actually the toothbrush, which is why they recommend turfing them every 3 months even if the bristles still seem new.

The creams I wanted to try and were not expected in my regular rotation were purchased in a tube vs a tub. Maybe they will last longer.?

Top Bottom