What's new

Cravat?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, if you want to do it, go for it. You need to "own" it, though.

proxy.php

"No man who wears that jacket should mock this hat."

I had young gentleman that i always dealt with at a high end Mens shop in Charlotte. He dressed well one day came in to pick up some trouser & there he stood in one. I have never seen anything look like an idiot the way he was wearing it. Even his associate's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always viewed these as more of a leisure accessory, than a work place/business casual one. Great to hear you had success. It's an accessory that will not work for most. I would wear a royal blue velvet suit to work before I ever thought I could pull of wearing a cravat. Kudos to you!

I've always viewed these as more of a leisure accessory, than a work place/business casual one. Great to hear you had success. It's an accessory that will not work for most. I would wear a royal blue velvet suit to work before I ever thought I could pull of wearing a cravat. Kudos to you!
Pics, please!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Keep in mind that a cravat is daytime sportswear, not formal in any sense.
Dan:
Then where would a Ascot fit in (I thought Ascots [tied around the neck] are more informal than a Cravat [tucked down inside the shirt])
proxy.php

[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
“Better [n[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]ouvelle] than never”. Lord Weidenfeld [/FONT]

Last edited:
Dan:
Then where would a Ascot fit in (I thought Ascots [tied around the neck] are more informal than a Cravat [tucked down inside the shirt])
proxy.php

proxy.php
“Better [n
ouvelle] than never”. Lord Weidenfeld

I'm certainly not an expert, but I've always imagined it as this:
Edit: Apparently I've been imagining it wrong. Check out Doc's post, below.:thumbup1:
Ascots are for when you're sailing, riding, teeing off, or strolling the grounds. Cravats are for when you return to the club for cocktails in the late afternoon or early evening, or perhaps when entertaining close intimates at home.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm certainly not an expert, but I've always imagined it as this: Ascots are for when you're sailing, riding, teeing off, or strolling the grounds. Cravats are for when you return to the club for cocktails in the late afternoon or early evening, or perhaps when entertaining close intimates at home.

It's confusing, and not least because most of the people trying to comment or give advice on the internet or elsewhere are confused ... more confused than normal. I'll take a stab at it.

Back in the day, ages ago, gentlemen used to get dressed up like this:

proxy.php

The bit of silk they tied around their necks was called a "cravat". Suffer through 1.28 of the sadly-not-the-original remake of the Scarlet Pimpernel, and you will get a sense of the formal dress involved, and the cravat.

Apparently, at some point, gentlemen who were out at the races at Ascot ... a less formal setting ... wanted a bit more neck freedom, so tied their cravats more informally, under the shirt collar.

proxy.php

The name caught on for that particular, informal, version of a cravat. So, "cravat" is the broad term to refer to all neckwear, and "Ascot" is the name of one particular, informal version of an ascot. Sort of like "shoe" and "sneaker" for footwear, if you see what I mean.

So: the modern Ascot ...

proxy.php

... the sort of thing you'd where when a refined turtleneck or a shirt and tie would do well also. Sunday brunch, yachting, art galleries, that sort of thing. In this day and age, if that sort of dress code fits with your workplace, then fine, go for it. Think of it as dressier than a shirt with open collar and no neckwear, but not as dressy as a shirt buttoned up with some sort of neckwear.

As for the more formal cravat ...

proxy.php

... I'd leave them for formal, dressy occasions like daytime weddings, gala symphony in the park (if there is such a thing), and (oddly enough you see it a lot there now) your trip to the royal races at Ascot.

Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan:
proxy.php

[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
“Better [n[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]ouvelle] than never”. Lord Weidenfeld [/FONT]

If I understand it correctly, what is commonly known as a cravat today, is worn around the neck and tucked into your shirt leaving a button or two undone. An ascot is worn around the collar of a shirt in the same manner as a more modern tie, and is secured with a stick pin. It is commonly worn along with a vest.

To add a little more confusion, all neckwear is considered a cravat, but not all cravats are ascots.

Top Bottom