What's new

Crack in a bone brush handle... Best way to stabilize?

I'd assume CA in the crack via syringe and high grit sanding to smooth after, but was curious if anyone had any experience or better ideas?

You might mix a bit of bone powder with the CA if the crack is wide enough. Maybe put the CA in the crack and then try to work in the bone powder.

A picture might help.
You could take the opportunity to create something special out of it like coloring it black or different color mixed with epoxy. An accent of sorts.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A picture might help.
You could take the opportunity to create something special out of it like coloring it black or different color mixed with epoxy. An accent of sorts.
A picture might help.
The technique of mixing ground bone with CA is commonly used to adjust guitar nuts. You should be able to find a video on YouTube.

...was curious if anyone had any experience or better ideas?
I am by no means an expert but a weekend warrior. In my experience, at this stage the bone will continue its natural path and keep cracking. The current crack will get bigger (it is an entropy thing, don't ask...). No matter what you do.
One way to fix it, if worth, is to remove the knot, clean the fracture and you might end up enlarging it to do a good job. Then take it to the vacuum chamber and properly stabilize it with resin. Then fill the crack, finish the handle, reinstall the knot and enjoy.
I would never do that unless it is a very special brush.
My 2c.

Completely forgot about this thread. I just filled it with CA. Today was the first test run to see if it holds. Going to do a couple more and then clean up the seam.

Top Bottom