What's new

Crack Filler ?

What is good for filling in a crack on an old Ever-Ready ??

I bought one that is cracked because I thought it gave a nice character to the old handle, but will need to fill it in with something to preserve the brush. Otherwise it's gonna get water in it and just get worse from there.

I was thinking wood filler. Bondo would be great, but I'm not going to go buy that just to fill in a one inch crack.

you should be able to use wood filler ,leaving enough extruded to sand down...really,it should hold up quite well,just give it enough drying time ....

What part is cracked, the ferrule or the handle? What is the cracked part made of?

Epoxy colored with an appropriate filler, if available, is a good choice for most things. Bondo is too soft and isn't really good for this application, in fact it isn't really good on cars either.

If it is wood then a wood filler would work, but so would epoxy.

Sorry in advance, I just knew someone had to do this :w00t:
Open if you dare!
proxy.php

What part is cracked, the ferrule or the handle? What is the cracked part made of?

Epoxy colored with an appropriate filler, if available, is a good choice for most things. Bondo is too soft and isn't really good for this application, in fact it isn't really good on cars either.

If it is wood then a wood filler would work, but so would epoxy.

The Handle is cracked. I guess it's made of Bakelite. It's an Ever-Ready.
I'll try and get a picture when I get home. I can't even remember the number right now.
Nice looking handle, and the crack adds character, but I don't want it to get worse.

Nice little brush. Looks like catalin. Catalin is prone to shrinking and cracking because of the lack of fillers. I expect it has cracked as much as it is going to but....... I'd clean that crack out and fill it with epoxy. Personally I would use an epoxy gel as it will fill better for a crack of that width, but you could do it with multiple applications of liquid. Try to make the repair as level and smooth as possible to minimize the need for sanding, which might cut through the patina.

If you just want to keep crud out and seal it, putting liquid epoxy in and wiping with a paper towel to remove the material that overlaps onto the surface might be the safest approach. Epoxy is naturally a translucent amber, which would not match perfectly but it would be pretty close.

Be sure to post the results.

I wish I knew how to post pics with this wedcam of mine so I could show you what I have done on a couple of restores. It came out very nice in my opinion. I used liquid epoxy (all I had) and I matched the color by using a oil colors. I had a small kit with 8 tubes of oil paint & just mixed on a paper plate until I was close to the color of brush(if you have a beret you might want to put that on during this process) Then you only need a very small amount to tint epoxy. Most cracks took two apps. then I sanded with 500,1000,1200, thats as high as I had then polished and like I said it looks pretty good. .......I haven't seen any sign of that small amount of oil paint has affected the bond of the epoxy at all. In fact I tint my epoxy just about every time I use it Good luck

Top Bottom