What's new

Crabtree & Evelyn

Not in a long time. Their Sienna soap had one of the best scents ever IMO but performance was below average. Their Lime shaving cream had a great scent too but again not a great performer.

Not in a long time. Their Sienna soap had one of the best scents ever IMO but performance was below average. Their Lime shaving cream had a great scent too but again not a great performer.

Thanks for the info. I hear their scents are amazing though.

I was contemplating getting the Sandalwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have their Moroccan Myrrh shave soap. Crabtree & Evelyn discontinued the entire shave product line. What you see out in the market is old stock.

The soaps were overpriced and underperforming, though my dad still shaves with his stash. The creams were said to be better. C&E sold shave products during a sad time when not alot was available and the internet boom was just getting started, and they sold products mostly to women who bought them for their husbands. So you got pretty scents and knick knacks for the countertop. Upscale yuppy equivalent of the Old Spice mug or Avon bottle.

Personally, I would save your money.

I received the Sienna shave soap as a gift about 7-8 years ago. It made a good slick lather, left my face feeling refreshed, and smelled nice.

About three years later, I finished it off and went to C&E to buy another Sienna. However, this one was terrible. The lather was thin, it dried my skin, and it had a strong medicine-y scent. That's when I learned (from this forum) that C&E constantly changes the formulations of many of their products, even the successful ones. It hadn't dawned on me to check the ingredients before buying, but they were very different between the old and new versions.

To this day, that has been the only shave soap that I've ever thrown in the trash. And, I never set foot in C&E again.

Earlier this year, I was thinking of giving them another try and went to the mall to have a look. Surprise! The store was gone. Apparently, C&E Canada had closed all their brick-n-mortar stores and gone bankrupt the year before. They said that they'd suffered significant losses due to their customers turning to online shopping. That argument doesn't hold water, though. After all, what was stopping their customers from buying C&E products online? Well, the answer is that they shot themselves in the foot by fooling with successful products. If they'd left well enough alone, maybe people like me wouldn't have abandoned them.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Their shaving products are discontinued, at least they are in the UK. The products I recall trying, I did not like.

Thanks guys, i think i will pass on this brand then.

Im a huge sandalwood fan and constantly seeking great scents.

Well, I agree - I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy overpriced discontinued C&E products, but I think they are (were) fantastic. I have the WIL set (cream, balm, EdC) and I find myself reaching for them fairly often. The cream is a little more finicky to use than others, but when you manage to get a proper lather up it’s a solid performer.

I used full pucks of Sandalwood, Nomad, and Sienna. More than serviceable lathers and strong scents. Slick soaps. Lasted a long time as they are pretty hard soaps, too.

That pretty much sums my experience too.
Not a great performing shaving soap/cream, but some scents did appeal to me.

I bought the C&E West Indian Lime hair & body wash, shaving cream, and aftershave balm at Marshalls. Nice scent and decent performance.

Thanks guys, i think i will pass on this brand then.

Im a huge sandalwood fan and constantly seeking great scents.

I used C&E Sandalwood exclusively for several years, very nice product, strong scent...loved it. I was spoiled by C&E and I'm was very sad to see it go. I was able to hang on to a puck of Sandalwood and about 3-4 ozs of cream that I use mostly on my birthday as a treat.
I know from other discussions that the latter C&E creams were not as good as the earlier ones.

Have the West Indian Lime shaving cream. First shave was less than satisfactory. Could be more on me than the cream though. Lovely scent.

I have the Moroccan Myrrh shaving soap, it performs well and has a great scent. Works best with a strong boar brush to lather as it's a very hard soap.

The soaps suffered performance wise after their reformulation. I’m surprised to see poor reviews of their creams. They were a Creighton’s base. I had no issues with the performance at all. Great lather, scent and protection.

The soaps suffered performance wise after their reformulation. I’m surprised to see poor reviews of their creams. They were a Creighton’s base. I had no issues with the performance at all. Great lather, scent and protection.

There are many creams that are easier to lather. C&E wasn’t overly difficult, but it did take more care and effort for sure

A customer service lady told me on the phone about three years ago that they were discontinuing their shaving gear despite the high demand. And so they did, most of it. I still have the Sienna EdT and aftershave and the Sandalwood EdT and love the scent. And I also own two bottles of the Nantucket EdT which is marketed for women but the scent blew me away and I bought two bottles fearing they might discontinue it. And so they did.
I also own some Nantucket and Myrrh bathing soaps and they perform greatly.
Shame they relaunched the brand with modern but bland designs. They were bought up by a Chinese conglomerate a few years ago. I assume that's the reason.
Btw, they still have a shaving cream and as in their catalogue.

Last edited:
If you have their soaps of the right vintage and formula they are very good. The wrong ones aren't good at all. The creams, at least the old ones I have, are very, very good. I just finished a shave using Sienna cream, wonderful fragrance, and got my usual bbs, no weepers results.

I still have some of their vintage stuff and bought a bunch of the West Indian Lime from their website when it went on closeout. Never had a problem with any iteration of it but did find it to take more water than some other soaps and creams. Always had great lathers though, wish they woudlnt' have stopped with the Men's products.

Top Bottom