What's new

Cowboy boot question

Hey, just got myself a new pair of boots for the first time in I don't know how many years...been a long time. They're Ariat Ropers. Love 'em so far. Question is, is it best to go ahead and condition them up before I start wearing them or not? I typically use Bick 4 on my leather stuff.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I always just wear them for a month or so then take them in for a good shine. I have 3 pairs of Ariats, among a couple of others, and that's how I treat all my boots.

I have far too many pairs of cowboy boots. Like any other leather shoe, I clean mine as soon as I get them and put on a good layer of what ever I am using. If you want a shine, a good waxed based polish will work. If you don't want to polish them, Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protector is what I use.

Keep your shoes away from the dog if you use Obenauf's, it is made of bees wax, so it smells like honey.

Bick4 is perfect for cowboy boots. I have 23 pairs and most of them are handmade so not cheap. I'm careful with what I use but I always use Bick4 and Fielbing saddle soap. Shoe cream is also quite good to use when you need to bring back the colour.
I live in the UK so rain water is the biggest threat but I let my boots dry naturally and then Bick4. Some of the boots are over 35 years old.
I don't use wax based products ( advise from a custom boot maker) but I use lanolin based products for a great shine.

I use Bick4 exclusively as well on all my cowboy boots. It won't hurt to condition them before wearing, but it won't hurt not to do so either.

Personally, I don't condition them until they need their first cleaning. Each time you condition them the leather darkens by some amount. I like to enjoy the look of them as purchased for as long as I can get away with before having to clean and condition them.

Just recently heard about Bick4, which is really pathetic given how many pairs of boots I own. Had been using Leather Honey Conditioner. Thought my boot collection was excessive. After reading Soapsniffer's post, looks like I'm not the only boot fan! Here's a recent pic, although three pairs were not included when taken. Many different brands, toes, heels, skins/leathers, and colors.
Bts coll.jpg

I've used Bick 4 on my leather goods for years. Boots, dress shoes, the wife's leather bags, my dad's leather chair and ottoman - if it's leather, Bick 4 gets the job and does the job. Leather stays clean, supple and scuff-resistant.

Finally spent some time conditioning my boots this weekend. Thanks to those who recommended Bick4. In the past, I used Leather Honey conditioner. Wondering how frequently others condition their boots. Only 3 pairs were not conditioned because of the type of leather those boots were made from. Conditioned 25 pairs of cowboy boots and 3 pairs of lace up work boots. All the boots look great/new again. Here's a pic of just the cowboy boots after conditioning them...
Bt col.jpg

Use a good leather boot dressing, some special kinds for exotics... AND keep the leathers clean, that's the secret shared from Lucchese years ago to me. Keep 'em clean they said.

Top Bottom