What's new

Counting shaves per blades

M

member 119848

Yes, it’s originally a butter container (or dish) with a German stamp on it.

it works well but it’s not the tightest lid. For what I use it for, it works. It may be a bit bulky also...
I´m in Germany, and I have seen this type of container sold (empty) by a wet-shaving supplier, as well by a shaving soap artisan.
For soap the lid does not have to be tight. I´m hesitating of getting a few of them, but I cannot convince myself that they are better than a re-purposed tub. I just like their military vibe :001_smile

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I think it would be interesting for someone to compile data on the number of uses of various blades but not include the ones that get tossed while they still had plenty of life remaining because the user likes to rotate blades frequently.

I seem to keep a spreadsheet on everything so shaving is no exception. My spreadsheet has columns where I record the date, the soap or cream used, the brush used, the razor, the blade, the shave number of the blade, the AS and fragrance used, and any comments. Today I recorded my 1,859 shave on the spreadsheet.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Reporting back after a bit. The system works really well as I can use my soap in any order I want. If I would have a bigger cabinet, I could possibly use more soaps and have a bigger rotation.

Right now, the "Control Soap" is the only one who got used once at every single shave. I don't always pile up my soaps in the same order (i.e. I don't use them in the same order). I still change blade when it feels dull but I know rather quickly if I did 3 shaves or 8 shaves with it.

Since shave containers are something that I already have, having this system is easy. As long as you have more soaps than shaves per blades.

I guess I could do the same thing with aftershaves if I wanted. When my "Control Soap" is over, I will name a new control soap.

I think it's like eating an Elephant (metaphor for stash of soap), only 10 pucks at the time!

I did keep track when I was auditioning blades for my top 3.

After I found those I stopped tracking as I found it detracted from the experience. I just shave until it feels less than I think it should and then bin it and get another, mid shave if needs be. No muss no fuss.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I seem to keep a spreadsheet on everything so shaving is no exception. My spreadsheet has columns where I record the date, the soap or cream used, the brush used, the razor, the blade, the shave number of the blade, the AS and fragrance used, and any comments. Today I recorded my 1,859 shave on the spreadsheet.
I wish I was 1/2 as organized as you are. Whoa very impressive.

It can be ANYTHING in your bathroom to count shaves. I have used a cup with handle or a brush
and razor holder. Every time after shave I rotate that item 1/8 of full turn. So one turn is eight shaves. A medium good blade gets one turn (8 shaves) and a good one two turns (16 shaves). Actually half-blades, as I am shavette user.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It took me a while to get to a new plan but I did this morning.

I'm still working on my stash of soaps that I posted in this thread. A new variable came up, a discontinued razor blade. It caused the apocalypse of finding a new one.

Having my control soap scheme out the window since I use the same one every day (I try to do MdC Monday).

I went back to basics as I wanted to follow the test of my new razor blades for 7 days (ideally). If it's no longer good after 2 shaves, out it goes. To be able to count on this. I was going to go by the date I updated the blade thread. I decided on a backup plan this morning. I was looking at either buying a dice or a clicker. A mechanical clicker was cheaper than the multi-face dice so I got that. I should get it I don't know when but that will probably work. I got something very similar (if not the same) as mentioned here

Sometimes, I'm questioning my efficiency in doing something...

I’ve used 2 methods.

1.) First method is to buy a roll of magnetic tape and tape 5 rows to your wall spaced out evenly. Take a marker and label them 1-5 and then after each shave stick the blade to the magnet strip with the right number. You can make your rows as wide as you like and number as many rows as you please.

If you do this I recommend putting the blade back in the wrapper if it’s platinum coated as they sometimes start to discolor if any water is present when in contact with the magnet. Ideally a magnet imbedded in wood without the magnet being visible would work best but would be a lot more work.

2.) Second option Is to use tally marks on the blade wrapper. I dry the blade, put it back in the wrapper and use a sharpie with tally marks. I often write the date of the blade as well since I have various batches of blades and it helps me keep better track for testing and in case I don’t get back to the blade for a long time. You don’t have to remove the blade to use tally marks. Just keep the wrapper on hand until you toss the blade and put a mark on the empty wrapper after each shave.

There are a lot of helpful ideas here. Just for information, Amazon has 12-sided dice (D12), up to 18mm - available in a number of colors in sets of a single or multiple colors.

I live in Asia, and there is a traditional tool "abacus" that is very suitable for counting the number of blades; and because of its large number of digits, it can be used to track several blades at the same time.

The “abacus“ is available in various sizes and digits, pocket versions, and even colorful ones.

But since I only use one blade at a time, I just use dice.
View attachment 1219540
I like this idea, my parents have a small one that is about the size of a deck of playing cards and has a nice heft as it is mounted on a piece of marble or something, would be perfect for this.
Ideally a magnet imbedded in wood without the magnet being visible would work best but would be a lot more work.
This is a neat idea too. Reminded me of shuffleboard scoreboards, which then brought to mind cribbage boards, the possibilities are nearly endless! 😂

Shuffleboard:
proxy.php

Ooh how's about an antique alarm clock? Just set the minute hand to the number of shaves on that blade.
I thought of this as I have one that I don't use, it ticks too loudly and keeps me up at night so it's just for decor anyway. 😂

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I like this idea, my parents have a small one that is about the size of a deck of playing cards and has a nice heft as it is mounted on a piece of marble or something, would be perfect for this.

This is a neat idea too. Reminded me of shuffleboard scoreboards, which then brought to mind cribbage boards, the possibilities are nearly endless! 😂

Ooh how's about an antique alarm clock? Just set the minute hand to the number of shaves on that blade.
I thought of this as I have one that I don't use, it ticks too loudly and keeps me up at night so it's just for decor anyway. 😂
My abacus originally had the same piece of marble as you described, but since the glue had deteriorated over time, I was able to easily remove the base.
I believe this is a gadget produced in Taiwan around the 1980s, and was marketed as a gift in many places, and can still be seen occasionally on the Internet (such as eBay).

Many game, hunting, competition...scoring tools are suitable for blade tracking, as long as the size fits your shave den and looks good enough (very important).

I suppose a subtle way to keep track, for those of us with more than one Adjustable razor, would be to use the adjustment dial on one of the razors not currently in use. Of course if you have say, a Fatboy, and use a blade for more than 9 shaves you'd be out of luck there... but it's an idea anyway.

I added a 'tally counter' app to my phone. You can set up multiple items to track. I'm sure there are many similar ones, but the first one I downloaded seems good enough.

Top Bottom