What's new

Corner Around Mouth Shaving

Hello everyone, I have been a lurker. I frequented the B*B Forums years ago when 1st getting back into DE shaving.

Now I am back! i have a Futur, Gillette New, EJ de89, and a Gillette Slim. My current favorite razors are the slim and new. I use Astra blades. To get around the corners of my mouth I tend to make the Oh face and then buff the corner of the blade to get the hair. Often I have little nicks since I have to do this many times. I shave about every two days. I use a shaving brush and soap or cream. Any advice? Thanks!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I get the least amount of issues by making duck lips towards the opposite side - with or without using my tongue or pressed air to further flatten the corner being shaved. So, if shaving the right corner, I make duck lips facing the left and may push my tongue or puff up the right side corner with air and vice versa.

You just have to ask if it preventing weepers is worth dying inside a little.

What he said(@NorthernSoul) ⬆️

Also, check the growth direction. I have a transition around that area that moves from N-S to W-E and diagonal in between. I solved the same problem by shaving S-N first since sideways around there is near impossible. It needs to be a very short, carefully placed stroke.

I poke my tongue into the corner of my lips which makes them sightly convex on the outside. Then some gentle buffing seems to deal with those pesky hairs. Not a pretty sight, I'm sure.

I poke my tongue into the corner of my lips which makes them sightly convex on the outside. Then some gentle buffing seems to deal with those pesky hairs.

This is the way. Your tongue can traverse the full reach of the inside of your upper and lower lips, exposing all those nooks (and crevasses if you are old and lined like me) to the merciless advance of the blade.

Many shave problems can be the result of campaigned or dull blades. Tricky skin areas may need a little extra skin prep. A finger dipped into olive oil or other oil smeared over the problem areas will add extra razor insulation and glide before your lather application. Skin flattening is key in all goatee areas.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I go as close to the mouth corner as I can and whatever I don't get or if a stray/few hairs pop up in the very corner I just pluck out with some tweezers. I get angular cheletis (sp?) and I find plucking works better than trying to go over it.

I found that if I use my opposite hand on cheek to stretch skin towards ear, this flattens the area to the side of my mouth out sufficiently that I get no problems now.

Another vote for ‘skin stretching!’

I use my tongue in some areas and also fill my cheeks with air (‘bull frogging’) in other areas.

I've been dealing with this problem for years. I go through all kinds of contortions - puffing, pouting, pursing, you name it - but pushing the area out with the tongue seems to do the best.

It never ceases to amaze me how one can go over the face multiple times with something as sharp as a razor blade a still find hairs that defied being cut! It was not so long ago that I finally came to grips with the fact that no matter how well I shave, there will always be a spot somewhere that stubble can still be felt, especially when rubbed against the grain. (Which is why I believe BBS is a myth, at least where wet shaving is concerned.) I'll get those spots next time.

I find it almost impossible to nick myself when shaving around my mouth if I use my Feather AS-D2. A Gillette Tech is almost as forgiving. I avoid using more aggressive razors near my mouth and chin to avoid gratuitous bloodletting. I avoid Kai blades for the same reason. 🩹🚑

Hello everyone, I have been a lurker. I frequented the B*B Forums years ago when 1st getting back into DE shaving.

Now I am back! i have a Futur, Gillette New, EJ de89, and a Gillette Slim. My current favorite razors are the slim and new. I use Astra blades. To get around the corners of my mouth I tend to make the Oh face and then buff the corner of the blade to get the hair. Often I have little nicks since I have to do this many times. I shave about every two days. I use a shaving brush and soap or cream. Any advice? Thanks!
I open my mouth wide as though I've just bought a Nintendo Switch and want everyone on Facebook to see my excited face. Then short, gentle strokes with no pressure work.

Top Bottom