What's new

Corned Beef *Dinner*

I'm going to toss it into the slow cooker tomorrow. For that past couple of years, thanks to the fine thread here in The Hall, I corned my own. This year I wasn't up to it, so I purchased one. We shall see how it comes out.

I'm just going to toss in the onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and put the corned beef on top. Add some beer and top it up with some bone broth. I will add the cabbage in the last hour or so.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I take it pressure cooking isn't a St Paddy endorsed method of cooking? My Grandmother, may she rest in peace, had been doing so forever so I have done the same. Maybe this year I'll try something different. Does the slow simmer still yield tender corned beef?

Soaked it yesterday for an hour in warm water to remove some of the salt. My family is amazingly particular about salt. Then simmered it with some pickling spice for 3 hours - I think longer, I fell asleep. Put it away in the fridge still floating in the water. I'll finish the vegs - cabbage, carrots and potatoes - today in the left over broth - warm up part of the meat in some hot left over broth.

For as much fat is on the meat, I didn't get a lot of fat that rendered out of it. Is that because of the simmering?

-jim

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I had to google silverside. Why didn't you just say it was rump roast? It's like you're from a different country or something.

Woops forgot to translate the local lingo for you.
But I would not have said it's a rump roast as the silverside is also known as a Outside or Bottom Round.

Talking of local names for meat. We had a Aussie ask to have the Brisket with dingo bait off........what the.... is dingo bait. Turns out it was the fatty piece on the breast of the point.

$silverside - outside.jpg

Put a bit of brown sugar on top and toasted the fat a bit

Getting ready to put the vegies in; going to put a bit of broth in the pan with the meat to gently warm it up a bit.

Ready set go!

my daughter didn't want to eat it, so her mom went to the local taco shop and got her a taco salad.

Thanks all for making this a

Happy Saint Patricks day!

-jim

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Put a bit of brown sugar on top and toasted the fat a bit

Getting ready to put the vegies in; going to put a bit of broth in the pan with the meat to gently warm it up a bit.

Ready set go!

my daughter didn't want to eat it, so her mom went to the local taco shop and got her a taco salad.

Thanks all for making this a

Happy Saint Patricks day!

-jim

Great thread Jim. Down here in South Texas St. Patties day was just about green ties and pins not corned beef and cabbage. I've learned a lot, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I take it pressure cooking isn't a St Paddy endorsed method of cooking? My Grandmother, may she rest in peace, had been doing so forever so I have done the same. Maybe this year I'll try something different. Does the slow simmer still yield tender corned beef?

I can't say if the pressure cooker would or wouldn't be a endorsed method but if it gets the end results you want, I say it's all good.
Yes the slow simmer method yields a tender corned beef. We also cooked pickled pork the same way. That is how it was always cooked when I grew up, so know no other way. If I had a pressure cooker I would give that a go myself, it sounds perfect for the job.

Due to stuff going on this week, I wasn't able to make my corned beef until today. Cooked in slow cooker all day in a Stout beer.

Then I steamed the cabbage in the stout beer from the slow cooker. It's awesome!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458430467.397481.jpg

that looks awesome - I was worried that cooking in a stout or Guinness would make the dinner bitter. Not sure why I thought that - that sounds and looks mouth watering good. I will give it a go next time.

I did make some rocking corned beef sandwiches for dinner a day ago - it was not heart healthy.

-jim

Top Bottom