What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cooking with Fire

professorchaos

Moderator Emeritus
Cooking with fire? Eat steak like Eisenhower did - the "Dirty Steak."

Fire up real hardwood charcoal and let it burn down until the coals are covered in white ash - it should be hot enough that you can't hold your hand a foot above the fire for more than a second or two. Dry the steaks - works best with NY strips in my opinion, season well with salt and pepper then lay them directly on the coals. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes for rare then flip them over (knock off any coals that stick). Cook another 2-3 minutes. Let rest it least five minutes and dig in.

You'll be surprised at how good it is.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Moderator Emeritus
The cub scout manual talked about preparing a steak . . . salt and a pat of butter . . . wrapped in foil and place in amongst the coals of a fire. "All the better for taste", said the author, "if some of the ashes find their way onto the meat". When I cook over hot coals this always comes back to mind. Also the taste fresh (caught a that afternoon) scallops done at a campsite very quickly in a hot cast iron pan over a hard wood fire including whatever dead wood I managed to hustle up to stay warm in late August at a park near the Bay of Fundy. This after a day of picking berries in an area frequented by bears.

Simple is good and probably comes together easier than complicated recipes.

Top Bottom