What's new

Convert an Electric Razor Shaver to DE Razor Shaving

Have any of you had any success converting someone who prefers shaving with an electric razor to shaving with a DE razor? Goodness knows I've tried to convince my younger brother to my preferred method of shaving.

He knows that I'm a convert to what he considers is an old fashioned method of shaving. He is a hardcore electric shaving person who insists he'll never convert to wet shaving in any form. His primary objection is that it's not as convenient as his Norelco electric razor. I would love to convert him to this much improved method of shaving but I seriously doubt it will occur.

I'm planning on buying him a starter kit for the holidays and doesn't know it yet. I'm hopeful that he will at least give this method a try. I can hope anyway!

Have any of you had convinced someone who has primarily shaved with an electric razor to start wet shaving. This can be with either carts or any other form of razor shaving? If you've had some degree of success what methods did you use to entice someone to try wet shaving?

Your brother is correct - DE shaving is not as convenient as electric. If convenience is his goal, DE shaving is not for him. DE shaving is a learned skill, a throwback to an earlier, less hurried time. It can provide a closer shave, but not necessarily. It can provide a more comfortable shave, but not necessarily. All of the products used in wet DE shaving, with the exception of blades and a razor, can be used with a wet electric shaver. So perhaps a transition and a compromise would be to introduce the idea of all the wonderful soaps, creams, lotions and aftershaves available to the potential DE shaver, to the dedicated electric user. But like all addicts, they have to want to quit... :001_smile

That is my theory as well! He has always wanted the convenience method of shaving and the "electric" will win every time. I would like to think that he would be open to newer method of shaving but I seriously doubt if I'll have any degree of success. I can always hope though. He is more into convenience rather than the quality of the shave. I can live with that.

I'm still hopeful that at least he will try the starter kit I'm buying him for the holidays. Maybe he will have an odd moment and give it a try! I can only hope.

As a matter of fact last night while I was talking with him on the telephone we started talking about the MASH television series. He told me that earlier in the day he was watching an episode on DVD where "Hawkeye" was shaving with a DE razor in the "Swamp" which reminded him of me! lol He still somehow imagines shaving with a DE razor as an "old fashioned" method of shaving.

Regardless, I am hopeful he will give it a try one of these day!

I would think that a good safety razor and brushless cream (Kiss My Face or Cremo) with 1 pass would be a fast shave and still be substantially closer than an electric (and with less irritation). I can shave in a few minutes if I'm rushed, and in 1 pass my skin feels great and it's still closer than my top-of-the-line Braun that I used to use. And that was the best of the electrics that I've tried . . . no electric has ever shaved my neck even remotely as well as a blade. I used to get a ton of razorburn from my electric trying to shave my neck . . . it hurts just remembering that!

DE shaving is an old-fashioned form of shaving. Not as old as SR shaving, but definitely old.

Your situation reminds me a little bit of Amtrak trying to win over people who prefer to fly. I've long thought that taking the train is more like taking the bus than flying, so Amtrak should work on catering to the needs of those who tend to take the bus. And those needs are decidedly different from those of the flying population.

Shaving is not a religion; don't develop the mindset that everyone must be converted. For someone who values convenience above all else, DE shaving will never be appealing. The only way around that is for him to stop start valuing something other then convenience more. For me, it was the affordability of DE blades and the superior craftsmanship of the razors that drew me in and kept me at it.

Is it possible to get him to place more value on something like tradition, ritual, craftsmanship, or nostalgia? Maybe. But maybe he's simply not that kind of guy. Very few of those who fly convert to taking the train long-distance instead, and very few of those who use electrics convert to DEs. The one simply gives them more of what they want than the other.

To extend my lame metaphor even further, maybe you should look for the bus travelers instead: those who feel less of a need for convenience. Amtrak is a lot like the bus, but there's more legroom, a sightseer car, onboard meals, and a good bit of nostalgia. DE shaving is a lot like carts or electrics, but there are cheap blades, high-quality metal tools, a comforting ritual, satisfying results, and a good bit of nostalgia. But Amtrak is not super convenient, and neither is traditional wet shaving.

Just as stubborn brother is about to start shaving put on a pair of rubber gloves.

Poke a fork into an electric outlet and blow the fuse.

Then present him with his gift in a most timely "I told ya so" manner.

I'm an electric razor shaver to DE razor shaver convert. I've alternated between wet shaving and electric shaving many times over the years. I get bored easy. Earlier this year, I was getting bored and frustrated with the Braun electric razor and the 20 minutes it would take me to get a close shave. I discovered DE shaving while researching online "shaving clubs." My shaves with the DE razor are far from perfect and it takes about 30 minutes for me to shave now. But, I'm no longer bored and I'm hoping my shaves will improve.

So, the moral of my story is that I "converted" because "I" wanted to. I started this journey knowing there would be a learning curve. I knew that my bad shave days would be on very public display the second I left home for work. It was a challenge I was wanted to tackle.

Just as stubborn brother is about to start shaving put on a pair of rubber gloves.

Poke a fork into an electric outlet and blow the fuse.

Then present him with his gift in a most timely "I told ya so" manner.

If he's really stubborn, he'd just plug it in to the car's power adapter and shave while standing in the driveway.

I fully understand the excitement you and others might feel about wet shaving, but this...
He is a hardcore electric shaving person who insists he'll never convert to wet shaving in any form.
... should indeed be your cue to lay off. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone pestering you about what shampoo to use or what diet to follow, and I don't consider this any different honestly. It has a ring of "what you're doing is not good enough", which doesn't taste very nice.

I converted from electric "face snatcher" to DE shaving because I was unhappy with my Norelco. My preferred blade prior to DE was single blade disposable. My wife urged me to try DE after seeing the Micro Touch One TV commercials. In the end, before a person changes, they have to perceive a need and have a desire to change.

Maybe not try to convert him, but give him the starter kit and let him have a once a week luxury of a DE shave? When the convenience part of it is not quite as important?
I know personally, my skin has never looked better since starting DE wetshaving...

You can't force others to change. If convenience trumps all else for him then electric probably is the best fit for him.

I also converted from electric. I actually got a pretty good and quick shave from my Norelco (Phillips). I transitioned because of the nostalgia. I have stayed because of the quality products, the improvement of my skin due to the exfolliation and the lanolin soaps and aftershave lotions. It also is interesting switching between the various DEs, SEs, Rolls Razors, and SRs. Plus the various soaps and after shave lotions. Oh, and it does give a nice close shave. But, it definitely takes longer. If someone is looking for quick and convenient and is an electric user, I don't think you will be able to make him budge. Just a question, why do you feel you need to convert him?

I found it the hard way that it is not easy to convert someone, let alone have them hear you out on your sales pitch.

A lot of them are pretty complacent with what they got and their attutude seems to be "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Although, i am thinking of gifting my dad a small starter kit not eith intention to convert, but so he can see whats out in the world outside of gillette mach 3 world he is in.

Instead of buying him a starter kit that might not get any use why not find a barbershop in the area that will still do a traditional shave. The next time he visits take him out and get a straight razor shave. I know that after my first real shave in a barbershop got me interested in wet shaving. When my friend got married I took everyone out to get a shave before the wedding, needed something to do while the women were off getting their hair done. Did I convert anyone, no, did they all get a great shave for the wedding, yes. Everyone really enjoyed it.

Not as convenient . . . just BETTER. How can ANY electric get as close a shave as any blade (even a cart). There is ALWAYS some form of screen or other barrier between your skin and the cutting edge with an electric, so there will always be stubble, however short.

Top Bottom