skirt steakflank steak
spring or salad onionsscallions, green onions
stock cubesbouillon cube
strong flourbread flour
sultanasraisins/ seedless, golden
tomato Ketchuptomato catsup
treacledark molasses
vanilla podvanilla bean

hope this helps out as i found it a pain to go and look for conversions wile writing down recipes from here then looking for a chart.

dave

Nice. I learned something from that.

If you have British biscuits, you might want to add American biscuits, which I think would be a kind of tea cake.

Also, wax paper and parchment paper are very different, at least in the USA. You rarely want to use wax paper in place of parchment paper, and wax paper should never be used in the oven, at least not with food. OTOH, you can almost always use parchment paper in place of wax paper for food purposes. Just saying people should be careful if there's any confusion about which to use.

Nice. I learned something from that.

If you have British biscuits, you might want to add American biscuits, which I think would be a kind of tea cake.

Also, wax paper and parchment paper are very different, at least in the USA. You rarely want to use wax paper in place of parchment paper, and wax paper should never be used in the oven, at least not with food. OTOH, you can almost always use parchment paper in place of wax paper for food purposes. Just saying people should be careful if there's any confusion about which to use.

thank you for that i would change it but i cant :( but its not to bad though for 3 hours work

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The liquid measures might be off. 4.55 liters in an Imperial gallon vs. 3.79 in a U.S. gallon. 40 ounces in a Imperial quart vs. 32 in a US quart etc. I think the whole difference is that the Imperial gallon is 160 fluid ounces and the US is 128 fluid ounces. Probably the majority of measuring cups we see in Canada are US but if you inherited grandma's they are about 20% bigger.

The liquid measures might be off. 4.55 liters in an Imperial gallon vs. 3.79 in a U.S. gallon. 40 ounces in a Imperial quart vs. 32 in a US quart etc. I think the whole difference is that the Imperial gallon is 160 fluid ounces and the US is 128 fluid ounces. Probably the majority of measuring cups we see in Canada are US but if you inherited grandma's they are about 20% bigger.

yea i know i forgot to mention i rounded up or down to the nearest as can be,however you are right

I prefer the metric system, but would never want to get rid of cups, tablespoons, and teaspoons. Measuring a cup of flour, butter, etc. is a lot easier than measuring a 100 grams of it. Yes, it is more inaccurate, but cooking is an art, not a science.

Down with Metric, Down with Metric!! :laugh:

Actually, the US would be a much simpler place to measure stuff if we used the metric system for everything.

Very informative, thanks! I always find the dialect differences interesting, sometimes it sounds like were speaking 2 different languages. I was watching Top Gear and they kept talking about Biscuits. I was so confused as they were not using it in the American context. I had to google it. Now I will know some other words they use.

Greaseproof/Parchment paperwax paper

Can we get a ruling on the above? We use parchment paper for baking and what not, is that what you are refering too? Cuz wax paper has a coating of wax on it and is not good for heat applications, mostly used for wrapping food.

Catsup vs Ketchup is also a regional thing here in the US. So catsup is not universal.

Another nice chart to have is temperature in Centigrade and Fahrenheit along with the British gas mark numbers. I have taken to measuring my baking goods in the metric format. It is easy to do and much more precise. And it allows me to make the fantastic puddings from The Great British Kitchen web site without thinking "is this an Imperial pint or U.S. pint?" Temperatures by scaled thermostat/switch/knob whatever are always more precise if you take time to verify dial settings via oven thermometer. I can use metric/imperial interchangeably but confess to a fondness for the old school gas mark knobs. Fat chance of getting those in the States anymore. I will see what I can do about rounding up a link to a temperature comparison chart. Great post. We cal always use these sorts of charts. I may scale these up, print them out and laminate them for use in the kitchen.

Cheers, Todd

I have a cheap old electronic scale which has a tare function and so is perfect for weighing ingredients into a bowl as you zero it after every item. I even weigh the water or milk as it's quicker and easier than a measuring jug and no extra washing up afterwards!

Gareth

This may work for most but I could do with a scaled up version with a little better demarcation lines like the charts above and ditch the greyed out lines as well. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Todd

proxy.php

Down with Metric, Down with Metric!! :laugh:

Actually, the US would be a much simpler place to measure stuff if we used the metric system for everything.

Very informative, thanks! I always find the dialect differences interesting, sometimes it sounds like were speaking 2 different languages. I was watching Top Gear and they kept talking about Biscuits. I was so confused as they were not using it in the American context. I had to google it. Now I will know some other words they use.

Can we get a ruling on the above? We use parchment paper for baking and what not, is that what you are refering too? Cuz wax paper has a coating of wax on it and is not good for heat applications, mostly used for wrapping food.

is also a regional thing here in the US. So catsup is not universal.

yea im not sure my self as being english it was a lot of time triying to translate english to Usa words . as yeti said below.
on the Catsup vs Ketchup debate thought of this for you
proxy.php

and want to say a big shout out for jeffj for this great work
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Cooking

Last edited:
I prefer the metric system, but would never want to get rid of cups, tablespoons, and teaspoons. Measuring a cup of flour, butter, etc. is a lot easier than measuring a 100 grams of it. Yes, it is more inaccurate, but cooking is an art, not a science.

Beg to differ. When it comes to flour, how you use the measuring cup makes a big difference! A scale is just as quick to use, accurate, and doesn't require any technique. I do agree with cooking being an art. My Grandmother didn't measure anything when she baked bread. She just added ingredients until it was right.

When you want to create an 80% hydration ciabatta dough, you need those scales. You can do a pretty good job just guessing if you want to create a quick loaf of bread, but when the bug hits you'll regret not owning any

When you want to create an 80% hydration ciabatta dough, you need those scales. You can do a pretty good job just guessing if you want to create a quick loaf of bread, but when the bug hits you'll regret not owning any

i agree with you, here is a saying i herd somewhere on the cooking channels cooking is an art baking is a science.

UKUSA
aubergineeggplant
baking traybaking sheet
bangerssausages
beetrootbeet
bicarbonate of sodabaking soda
biscuitscookies
broad beansfava beans
cake tincake/ baking pan
capsicumssweet or bell peppers
castor sugarSugar, superfine
celery stickcelery rib
chipsFrench-fried potatoes
chuck steakround steak/stewing beef
coriander, freshcilantro
cornflourcornstarch
courgettezucchini
crispspotato chips
desiccated coconutUnsweetened desiccated/ shredded coconut
digestive biscuits/graham crackers
double creamcream, heavy
drippingfat from roasted meat
essenceextract (vanilla, etc.)
fish slicespatula
forcemeatstuffing mix for meat or fish
frying panskillet
gammonham
glacé fruitscandied fruit
golden syruplight molasses
hand of porkpork shoulder roast
hard-boiled eggshard-cooked eggs
heaped spoonfulheaping spoonful
hullshuck
icing sugarconfectioners'/powdered sugar
jointlarge cut of meat to roast
ketchup/tomato saucecatsup
king prawnsjumbo shrimp
Margarine/Butter/Lardshortening
minced meatsground meats
offalvariety meats (liver, kidney etc)
paw pawpapaya
pig's trotterpig's foot
plain flourall-purpose flour
pork fatfatback
prawnsshrimp
rasherslice
semolinafarina
sievestrain; strainer
siftstrain
silversidebeef cut from the rump
single creamcream, light, half-and-half
skirt steakflank steak
spring or salad onionsscallions, green onions
stock cubesbouillon cube
strong flourbread flour
sultanasraisins/ seedless, golden
tomato Ketchuptomato catsup
treacledark molasses
vanilla podvanilla bean

not trying to start anythign here, but a good portion of that list is well wrong. a good portion of stuff for the US side of it i've never in my life heard that be called that here in the US. and a few things on that list are actually completely different things, like lard and shortening.

Top Bottom