What's new

Confession of a TESLA Owner

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
At the moment we have gas powered SUV and a small convertible. i am pondering selling the little convertible and replacing it with a small EV that is a few years old, old enough to bring the price closer to manageable. My biggest concerns about the idea are about getting honest and understandable information on how a year or two of use will affect battery life and efficiency and how the car lines up with possible used EV tax credits. An $18,000 to $25,000 used BMW i3 or Chevy Volt with under 30,000 miles which turns into a $21,000 or less car could be manageable from a cost perspective. (I have not even begun a deep dive into any makes. I just like a small car around town.). We would have the gas SUV for long trips and hauling larger loads. I am not overly concerned about range as it would be for use around town, but if the extra years really sap the battery's efficiency, it might become a concern. Any insights are welcome.

EV battery degradation is not a significant concern. A 10 year old EV will likely retain 85-90% of its original capacity. Heavy hybrids like the Volt or Clarity have a longer life. Light hybrid Priuses from the 90’s are still out there performing well. My 5 year old Clarity has lost only about 5% of its original capacity.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
1696281776925.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Surely no one believes that electric cars will be cheaper than gas right? If the day comes where electric cars on the road outnumber gas cars you can guarantee the cost of ownership will be higher than gas cars. There is absolutely no way automobile manufactures, and utility companies will let electric be cheaper than gas if it is the most used on the road.

Your electric rates will go up. The price of batteries will go up. The price of the cars will go up. Everything associated with them will increase in cost. You may get away with it now. With an electric car costing you less than gas in the long run. But in 20 years when the tables are turned and EV chargers are as abundant as gas stations are now and gas is no where to be found like EV chargers are now the cost of EV will be more.

No one is making these changes to loose money. These changes are being forced on us to generate more profit.

I agree @Toothpick . Part of me would really like an EV. Not because I think I’m saving the planet but, because I’d like to be unchained from the oil/gas company BS.
Further to your point, look at streaming. Nearly as much or more than cable TV.

Well if you into choice EV should be choice for those who want, saying no more Gas Engine to be built is re moving choices for everyone.

Same as saying dying your brown hair blonde is illegal, it a personal choice. USA is land of freedom, personal freedoms, now we wa t to change that BULLs***.

Top Bottom