What's new

Competition IV

strop

Now half as wise
Well, since mycarver is judging, and it doesn't have to involve metal work, I may have to come up with something for this!:wink: I've got some ideas!:eek:

Boy, I hope I think of something I "need"... I have gotten supplies for a few different projects, but since I have a fully functioning setup without the extras, I haven't done any of them... maybe now is the time!

Mine is working....here it is so far.
$IMG_3800.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Stick some lapping film to the blades and you could make an automatic honing machine.

My silly idea has some parts that I ordered which are now on a slow boat from China. I may need a plan B.

Stick some lapping film to the blades and you could make an automatic honing machine.

My silly idea has some parts that I ordered which are now on a slow boat from China. I may need a plan B.

I could probably use something like that:)

not sure if timing matters but,, i finished this a few months back.

Attachments

• $SAM_0688.jpg
    $SAM_0688.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 160
i didnt know about any "other" shave sites when i did it. i doubt it would have mattered. it's still my shave den.

Legion

Staff member
That is definitely the kind of thing I was thinking of, but it has to be made in the month of the competition. So now you need to make another for the front of your house.

OK, this thread has inspired me to kick off a bound-to-be years (months for sure) long project to hold 50 razors, keep the kid's fingers out/lock it down, and be something I've never seen before. The idea has been brewing in my head for a couple months, but as of a little bit ago today, I've finally started drawing out some initial design aspects. Don't hold your breath, as I'm not gonna give any hints other that you'll be able to see the razors in the box and it will be a lot of work. If I can pull it off, yeah, I'll show pics of course, and I'll likely post the design and parts list if you wanted to make one. But if it doesn't work, I'll at least describe the idea. Yeah, this is a tease of a post, but the point is that I likely wouldn't have kicked off the project had it not been for the Competition thread...it does weird things to my mind. :)

Jeff

OK, this thread has inspired me to kick off a bound-to-be years (months for sure) long project to hold 50 razors, keep the kid's fingers out/lock it down, and be something I've never seen before. The idea has been brewing in my head for a couple months, but as of a little bit ago today, I've finally started drawing out some initial design aspects. Don't hold your breath, as I'm not gonna give any hints other that you'll be able to see the razors in the box and it will be a lot of work. If I can pull it off, yeah, I'll show pics of course, and I'll likely post the design and parts list if you wanted to make one. But if it doesn't work, I'll at least describe the idea. Yeah, this is a tease of a post, but the point is that I likely wouldn't have kicked off the project had it not been for the Competition thread...it does weird things to my mind. :)

Jeff

Very intriguing!

And the more I think about it, the more the design is making sense. It keeps getting new features (expandability!!! more razors in the same box!!) and simpler/cheaper to make with easier-to-obtain items, making it less likely to take forever to make (BIIIG plus). It's really kewl...at least in my head. Might be something that is sellable, but maybe I could opensource it by just posting the how-to. Golly...while typing this, it might just be a weekend project...just make the prototype with...well...hold that thought. When is last date of entry? April 21...hmm....might just make the deadline...we'll see. :) Problem is, my brain immediately jumped to all this elegantly beautiful oak/cherry box with the insides out of similar stuff and other stuff finished with beautiful mrmmrrhgmm with accents of mhmwmrrgmd and that kind of thing. But then I thought, well, how about just banging the stuff together out of unfinished pine and what I can find and show that it will work, then post that, and see what you guys can snazzify out of the basic design. The more I think about it, the more I think it could be ridiculously souped up, but it's such a simple idea to start with....

Tantalizing enough?

Slight adjustment to the design to make it cheaper and reduce the number of different parts. You know how there is an easy way to do things, then there is a fun but stupid-complex way to do things? Yeah..this is the latter. Full size drawing on paper is about 22invhes wide, foot tall, 10" deep and should hold 39 razors.

My razor box is something like 7"x7"x4" (estimates naturally), and will hold up to 24 razors (or as I have it set up, 7 or 8 razors, a couple DE razors, some shaving soap, a few small stones, some DE blades, and a couple project razors), so I will be interested in seeing how your project turns out.

Top Bottom