What's new

Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable on that seven day set, and the rest of you who can do this. I am in total awe of that kind of skill. I have studied the human brain for my entire adult life and yet I'm amazed by it every day.

strop

Now half as wise
And this, gentlemen, was why I sent my Great-grandfather's razor to him for restore!:001_smile:001_tt1:

I've been watch and drooloing over his work in other medium, mostly wood, for several years, on another forum. This man has lost more talent than and creativity than I'll ever have! What outstanding work!

I vote this again for the next comp. I have 3 heading my way and I missed the boat on this comp. Mycarver that is some amazing work my friend.

And this, gentlemen, was why I sent my Great-grandfather's razor to him for restore!:001_smile:001_tt1:

I've been watch and drooloing over his work in other medium, mostly wood, for several years, on another forum. This man has lost more talent than and creativity than I'll ever have! What outstanding work!

Yeah i agree if you saw what he did to my rust bucket W&B for barbers use. He is going to buried in restores, I'm just glad I got him to do mine before he posted all of these razors.

Thanks guys! The type of wood totally escapes me right now. I keep several pieces on hand for when the mood strikes. Most of my scale material comes in small stabilized blocks from an ebay dealer name bigmike or bigmikey.....saved in my favorites. Oh and I forgot to mention, I didn't start on the blade until yesterday(dremel and hand sanding).

Jim

Last edited:
I don't know how close I am,, but from the looks of it it resembles something from the Mahogany family. There are dozens of varieties. I have many pieces that look very much the same depending on where in the piece I cut them from . Also in some of the pics, there is a gold hue to them which is very typical of some Mahogany.
Just a guess.

So Mark, on another note... IF you could only enter one of these razors into the contest, which one would it be? Which one is your favorite?

So Mark, on another note... IF you could only enter one of these razors into the contest, which one would it be? Which one is your favorite?

On one of the threads I said Ebony on Ivory,, it's still my favorite,, and the first of the lot that I built. I like the 'elegance' of it, I love the wood, I love the carving aspects involved, the lines are clean and simple without trying to just 'glam up' a piece. I think it can stand on it's own in many respects. Some are a bit over the top,, some are more fantasy style, but this has a certain traditional look,, with details from different styles that just seem to harmonize in my eye and what I like to see.

then again,, the butterfly has some fluid lines that keep your eye in movement ,, the balance and echoing of the lines of the spine/tail and how it matches the inlay I did and the etching on the blade.
and,,,,,,,
No, it's the Ebony on Ivory. But to each his own. YMMV as they say. I just also wanted to do a variety of blades and try not repeat the same design twice knowing the variety of tastes that are involved.

Last edited:
CA.
I have a fear of water and my woodworking background taught me that regardless of the finish,, water/humidity still gets in with most finishes. For example a door finished with Poly/Lacquer/paint whatever will still expand and contract with the seasons when humid or dry. Wood is a sponge that will always attract moisture. Most finishes just slow the process and don't stop it.CA seems to make them bullet proof and they end up feeling like plastic as it penetrates the wood and seals it deep. Plus , you can control the amount of sheen you want to see. It doesn't always have to look like it's wet. But I wanted the high gloss in these cases.

Yeah, I like CA, but it's a real PITA to wet sand... I really like french polishing shellac though - it's relatively easy to get good results, and I've had good luck with durability so far. How many coats do you do of the CA typically? The default "how to" posts around the web advocate like 10 or more. I think it's overkill personally though. I will usually stop at no more than 5 coats.

I've never wet sanded the stuff. 4 coats is usually enough. I don't want them to look like someone poured resin over them. But too, much of it gets sanded away so.....

And with me an my mind set being a bit of a contrarian, I read what others do,, and then I do just the opposite. I think there is some good info out there in some respects,, I just never follow it. And my results seem to be OK all things considered.

If you aren't wet sanding, then how are you getting a smooth consistent finish? It sets way to fast to work it out, and it certainly will not self-level. Are you using a cure retarder or something?

Sorry, didn't read the post all the way I guess... so you do sand it, just not wet sand? Gotcha. I prefer to wet sand with mineral spirits... Seems to work really well and keeps the sandpaper from loading up on me.

Just a thought guys, At least when we show our friends Marks razor pics, we can tell them that our entry only lost to his by 1 vote, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom