What's new

Comparing Glock to Springfield XD

I own a Glock 35(.40) and a Springfield XD(9mm). Being a lefty I like the ergonomics much better in the XD. I got the Glock from a friend for a amazing price and have no regrets getting one...but the mag release digs into my hand shooting and its very uncomfortable.

I also like the safety features better in the XD(yes, the best safety is between your ears) with the grip safety, chambered round indicator ambidextrous mag release and striker fire indicator.

The finish on the Glock is great! The finish on the XD is horrible. Well its bad on mine..easily rusts, not durable at all. I got one of the first generation models though, and its a known issue. The new XD's are on par with the Glocks.

The grip is more angled on the Glock and the XD is more like a 1911.

Both shoot well, never had a jam with the Glock and only once with the XD after probably a couple thousand rounds. Think it was the ammo and not the XD's fault anyway.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending either gun. If your a lefty I go with the XD. My next gun will be a M&P or an XDM in 9mm.

XDs have a higher muzzle to grip and tend to 'flip' more.

Glocks are the world standard for reliability pretty much. The XD has never been issued (aside from in ones and twos) by any police department I'm aware of, which is generally a clue. Croatian made. Not a bad design, but not a Glock. They do well in competition, as they are accurate and easy to shoot, but if the wrong chain of events happens with the grip safety, the gun will not go bang even if you're gripping it right. Seen it happen twice. That can get you killed in a fight.

I don't have a Springfield, but I have a Glock 23 in .40. When I purchased it, my decision was between the Glock and a Springfield XD. I stood in the gun shop over an hour, going back and forth, holding each several times before ultimately buying the Glock. I went with the Glock because it just felt better in my hands, and has a great track record for reliability.

XDs have a higher muzzle to grip and tend to 'flip' more.

Glocks are the world standard for reliability pretty much. The XD has never been issued (aside from in ones and twos) by any police department I'm aware of, which is generally a clue. Croatian made. Not a bad design, but not a Glock. They do well in competition, as they are accurate and easy to shoot, but if the wrong chain of events happens with the grip safety, the gun will not go bang even if you're gripping it right. Seen it happen twice. That can get you killed in a fight.

I wasn't aware that could happen with a grip safety.
Do you know if the S&W M&P has been issued to LE departments? That's the only other gun I can think of that has been compared to the Glock.

I am NOT A GLOCK FAN, I repeat NOT A GLOCK FAN, but I have never ever seen even a tiny bit of rust on one and I see a few hundred at range every three months. These things get carried in the rain and by marine deputies in the salt spray, and corrosion is not an issue with them.

The M&P has been widely issued, it's more or less the Glock "perfected". Before the Glock gen4 came out S&W listened to people's many gripes about Glock ergonomics, and fixed them. Glock had to play catchup.

I've carried a Glock for 15 years and shot them for nearly 20. When it came time to choose a duty pistol, I went M&P.

L.A Sheriff's Department recently went to the M&P, and in Texas and the East Coast, the M&P and Glock are about 50/50 issued or authorized for duty use. If you have small hands, the M&P with small backstrap will fit most better than a 9mm/.40 Glock. The medium backstrap is pretty much identical in size to a Glock.

Most guns don't have grip safeties. The 1911 does but it's 113 years old and the few issues it has, were known by the 1930s. I am not a gunsmith, but the XD, depending on the chain of events (i've seen it happen and we tried to break down the reasoning for why it happened) if you either partially squeeze the grip safety as you squeeze the trigger, or trigger without the grip safety then squeeze the grip safety in and then release/resqueeze the trigger, apparently has a chance to 'catch' where even though you have now squeezed the grip safety AND pulled the trigger, no bang.

Both times it was during training and treated like a misfeed, i.e mag removed, slide worked, reload, go and only the instructor really caught just why that happened, because it sure wasn't the ammo's fault. Yeah, it might be a 1-in-1,000 chance, but so are gunfights.

Thanks everyone! I like Glocks and plan to keep my G27. I want something slightly different for my next purchase.

The M&P has been widely issued, it's more or less the Glock "perfected". Before the Glock gen4 came out S&W listened to people's many gripes about Glock ergonomics, and fixed them. Glock had to play catchup.

I've carried a Glock for 15 years and shot them for nearly 20. When it came time to choose a duty pistol, I went M&P.

L.A Sheriff's Department recently went to the M&P, and in Texas and the East Coast, the M&P and Glock are about 50/50 issued or authorized for duty use. If you have small hands, the M&P with small backstrap will fit most better than a 9mm/.40 Glock. The medium backstrap is pretty much identical in size to a Glock.

Most guns don't have grip safeties. The 1911 does but it's 113 years old and the few issues it has, were known by the 1930s. I am not a gunsmith, but the XD, depending on the chain of events (i've seen it happen and we tried to break down the reasoning for why it happened) if you either partially squeeze the grip safety as you squeeze the trigger, or trigger without the grip safety then squeeze the grip safety in and then release/resqueeze the trigger, apparently has a chance to 'catch' where even though you have now squeezed the grip safety AND pulled the trigger, no bang.

Both times it was during training and treated like a misfeed, i.e mag removed, slide worked, reload, go and only the instructor really caught just why that happened, because it sure wasn't the ammo's fault. Yeah, it might be a 1-in-1,000 chance, but so are gunfights.

I appreciate the info.

Top Bottom