What's new

Compare the Futur and the Vision...anyone?

Wondering of anyone can compare the Futur and the Vision? I have the Futur, a few gillettes and a HD. I think the Futur works the best for me, but I wish it could go lower sometimes, like the gillettes. At its lowest, it's still "out there" more than any of the other razors. I was wondering if the vision has a lower setting than the futur, and if it's considered a better shaver than the futur, yet along similar lines

Thanks,
Josh

My vision does seem to be able to adjust milder than my Futur, and the TTO mechanism seems less "springy," and more solid than the way a Futur holds a blade, but I would still consider the Futur a better shaver.

futur all the way, the build quality and shave quality of the vision does not fit a $100 product in any way,

If you're a fan of complicated engineering and German technical genius, the Vision might be for you. Mind you, it is a BIG razor, for big hands and big faces (and large feet :wink:). A futur won't ever break (unlike some older Visions) and is less sensitive to soap scum gumming up the mechanism. Both shave very well. No beginner's razors for sure.

I had quit using a DE for over thirty years and decided to go back to the best world of shaving recently. I read the comments about the Futur's limitations and purchased both Futur and a Vision (still had my old Gillette). Sold the Vision to a friend who loves it (all his taste is in his mouth).

I vote for the Futur and I think that dialed down to 1 it would be fine for a beginner.

The Vision can get pretty mild...if you use a Derby blade it might get even milder. The Futur will do the same IMHO, but I think the Progress can get even milder.

There are those that swear by the Progress.

I still like the Vision for days when I use a DE instead of a straight.

V

VR6ofpain

I own a Vision and Progress and love them both. That said the Progress is a superior razor. Much better build quality and a smoother shave. On the other hand there are aspects I really love about the Vision. The large size and weight are very nice. Another unique aspect of the Vision (and Futur) is the lack of DE blade exposure on the non-cutting sides. All Gillette's (and the Progress) allow a little bit of each edge (not the cutting edges) of the blade to stick out of the sides of the razor head.

I have a Vision and a Futur (and a Progress). I had DE-RAD bad for a while. Now I am completely cured but have been infected with STR8-RAD, which can be much more expensive. :frown:

I prefer the Vision - it is an engineering marvel and shaves like no other DE razor. If you are into more traditional type shaving, the Futur is probably the better choice. If you want a unique shaving experience - the Vision is it.

Lou

What about the Progress?

Is the Futur still considered a better shaver as the Progress?

Definitely not. The quality of the shave is inversely related with the price of the Merkur's adjustable razors. The higher you go in price, more chances you'll get a crappy shave.

Top Bottom