What's new

Coloured lather for SR shavers?

Legion

Staff member
Not sure about the coloured lather but can't help wonder if there is an element to actually using lather that lets you see what bits you have shaved or haven't shaved. Sort of like that pink ceiling paint that turns white so you can make sure that you have painted the entire ceiling and not missed bits.

And as for using vegemite as a shave cream - surely you would use it as a balm or after shave. I did see one Kevy Shaves Youtube video where he actually used Irn-Bru as an after shave!!!!

cheers
Andrew
That'll attract the ants...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have heard that Vegemite is good for relieving certain types of rash symptoms. Maybe it does work on razor rash. As a SR shaver, I will never know.

I was thinking that a dark (black?) coloured lather might be of benefit. Then I started thinking how this could be done, maybe with a black food colouring.
I've never done it but if you can get your hands on a bottle of graphite powder and sprinkle it into a freshly lathered soap it should do the trick. As far as I know graphite would be fine on your face but you might want to check that.

A word of caution though, I saw a Geofatboy video where one of his brushes is red from, I think, a rose soap he used.
If one of my brushes turned a weird color because of something I did to the soap I wouldn't be too happy with myself.

I've never done it but if you can get your hands on a bottle of graphite powder and sprinkle it into a freshly lathered soap it should do the trick. As far as I know graphite would be fine on your face but you might want to check that.

A word of caution though, I saw a Geofatboy video where one of his brushes is red from, I think, a rose soap he used.
If one of my brushes turned a weird color because of something I did to the soap I wouldn't be too happy with myself.
Haha I believe he was doing a Halloween shave and put red food coloring in the lather for effect, which dyed the knot of his Simpson Chubby brush pink.

Haha I believe he was doing a Halloween shave and put red food coloring in the lather for effect, which dyed the knot of his Simpson Chubby brush pink.
Ah, is that what happened. I was thinking I'd be annoyed if ANY commercial soap dyed a brush.

I normally wipe my SR clean during a shave using a sponge. This allows me to inspect my whiskers as they are cut off. The problem for me is that more and more of my whiskers are are changing colour from dark brown to white.
I was thinking if you changed temporarily from a sponge to newspaper, and wipe the blade like you're spreading butter on toast, you could see what you're looking to see.
You'd also be stropping after each swipe which, having just thought about it, could be the ultimate shave.

Stirling soap never looked so good
IMG_20220226_092257.jpg

I added it to the lather.
One compilation though. It stains your skin. Oh and makes a hell of a mess of your bathroom if it splatters. (No I didn't shave with it)

Be careful what additives you mix with shaving soap. The chemicals which make it burst into lather are just a short step away from military grade explosives. Add the wrong compounds and BOOM!

Terrorists often join shaving forums to send secret messages and acquire bomb-making materials.

If it stains skin it would possibly stain the whiskers to the point you wouldn't be able to see them, right? Which would defeat the whole purpose, wouldn't it?
That's a good point. I only did this as I had have a synthetic brush, a natural fibre would probably stain. So that would apply to whiskers as well.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That's a good point. I only did this as I had have a synthetic brush, a natural fibre would probably stain. So that would apply to whiskers as well.
That may sold the problem, develop synthetic whiskers.

Thinking about that, if I can develop synthetic whiskers, I may as well make them black. Then I wouldn't need black lather.

I might have to give up this line of enquiry.

Top Bottom