What's new

Coloured lather for SR shavers?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I normally wipe my SR clean during a shave using a sponge. This allows me to inspect my whiskers as they are cut off. The problem for me is that more and more of my whiskers are are changing colour from dark brown to white.

I was thinking that a dark (black?) coloured lather might be of benefit. Then I started thinking how this could be done, maybe with a black food colouring.

Has anyone tried this?

A red lather could also be of benefit to those still developing their technique.

Back in the 90s there was a sunblock company that dyed their product purple so kids could see spots they missed to avoid getting sunburn.

My parents wouldn’t buy it but they put food coloring in their existing stash of sunblock to shut us up. Food coloring does make white stuffs different colors quite well. Went through a brief stage where I only drank blue milk, but I digress.

There are plenty of dark colored soaps, especially those high in vanilla.

As someone whose hair turned white many years ago, I do not concern myself with the stubble that comes off on my blade. I am only concerned with the amount that remains on my face. By the time I am finished, none remains.

Legion

Staff member
Back in the 90s there was a sunblock company that dyed their product purple so kids could see spots they missed to avoid getting sunburn.

My parents wouldn’t buy it but they put food coloring in their existing stash of sunblock to shut us up. Food coloring does make white stuffs different colors quite well. Went through a brief stage where I only drank blue milk, but I digress.
Back in the 80’s in Australia our zinc sunblock was pink or orange or green….

It was like war paint for our school sports carnivals.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Instead of 6 passes, my method is 7 Passes!!!
What about 32 passes?

No! No one does 32 passes.

N4GxaJ.gif

But… but, surely your fingertips running over your stubble are a more accurate measure of smoothness than trying to see what is embedded in the Vegemite/boot polish/food colouring genius invention you are planning?

Why am I engaging in this?
A thin hollow ground razor will tell me more than even my fingers. But there is a point of diminishing returns here. My fingertips are far more sensitive than my aging eyes.

Choco Cubano soap by Ariana & Evans is fairly dark - and smells great too! And as the soap oxidizes over time, it gets even darker. According to A&E, that is natural and is not a problem. It is also one of my favorite soaps.

Not sure about the coloured lather but can't help wonder if there is an element to actually using lather that lets you see what bits you have shaved or haven't shaved. Sort of like that pink ceiling paint that turns white so you can make sure that you have painted the entire ceiling and not missed bits.

And as for using vegemite as a shave cream - surely you would use it as a balm or after shave. I did see one Kevy Shaves Youtube video where he actually used Irn-Bru as an after shave!!!!

cheers
Andrew

Top Bottom