What's new

Colonel Conk "New Formula" Shave Soap

The Good: The new formula Colonel Conk shave soap is a very hard puck yet lathers easily. It is very slick with good residual lather for extra buffing.

The Bad: It dissipates faster than I can shave but the dissipated lather is still slick enough to go over again without adding more lather.

The Bad: You can no longer melt it to fit your shave mug.
The price went up more than the old formula.
Everything in this post is my opinion & your opinion may be different.

How was the formula changed, if you know? My guess, based on what you posted, is maybe it is no longer a melt and pour base? Maybe you could post the ingredients list?

How was the formula changed, if you know? My guess, based on what you posted, is maybe it is no longer a melt and pour base? Maybe you could post the ingredients list?
Sodium palm kernelate, sodium palmate, water, potassium palm kernelate, palm kernel acid, potassium palmate, fragrance, sodium gluconate, butyrospermum parkii, Shea butter, glycerin, palm acid, sodium chloride, xanthan gum, persea gratissima, avacado oil, tocopheryl acetone, aloe, barbadensis leaf juice & maltodxtrin.

Sodium palm kernelate, sodium palmate, water, potassium palm kernelate, palm kernel acid, potassium palmate, fragrance, sodium gluconate, butyrospermum parkii, Shea butter, glycerin, palm acid, sodium chloride, xanthan gum, persea gratissima, avacado oil, tocopheryl acetone, aloe, barbadensis leaf juice & maltodxtrin.
Thank you. Yep, this is a typical formula for soaps whose lather dissipates. Starting with a sodium salt instead of a potassium salt is the first mistake. Not having anywhere near enough stearate is the other big mistake.

This formula would likely make a very good shower soap, though.

I found that it lathers like crazy but the resulting lather is very airy, not creamy (for me, at least). YMMV. But I’m sure that others with different water, techniques, etc. can make it work for them.

I guess I'm glad I'm glad I have a back stock of the old formula lime pucks. That is my standard pre-shave soap and great for shaving lather as well. I melt them into stick format.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you. Yep, this is a typical formula for soaps whose lather dissipates. Starting with a sodium salt instead of a potassium salt is the first mistake. Not having anywhere near enough stearate is the other big mistake.

This formula would likely make a very good shower soap, though.
For soaps that produce a dissipating lather, adding a good sized dollop of Cremo to the lather bowl fixes all sins. ;)

Great review, well balanced and fair!!

The fact that lather dissipates faster than Fast Shaver can shave is a telling point!! :thumbdown

Top Bottom