What's new

Cologne As Aftershave?

Sometimes I use a cologne instead of aftershave. It does the same thing, but the scent lasts longer.

Thoughts? Am I doing unknown damage to my skin?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sometimes I use a cologne instead of aftershave. It does the same thing, but the scent lasts longer.

Thoughts? Am I doing unknown damage to my skin?
Some will say yes and it is true that many aftershaves have skin conditioning ingredients which are not present in cologne. That is not to say that cologne is harmful although some will find it so. I have used aftershave, EDT, and EDC interchangeably for decades with no ill effects although of course, had I not done so, then it is possible although unlikely, that I could be even more handsome than I am at present. If cologne annoys your skin then stop using it, otherwise if you like it then keep doing it 👍

I tend to use one or the other, but not both. I generally use aftershave for the scent, so it works well when I am not looking for a lasting scent. However, when I am, I usually go straight to cologne.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve read the same thing. That edc lacks face conditioners. It’s also more expensive than aftershave. I’ve tried T&H lime edt as an aftershave and it didn’t feel that great. I usually over apply aftershave in hopes that it will last.

One of the nice things about aftershave is you can use it fairly generously. If you do that with an EdT, you will probably gas out everyone in close proximity! So, aftershaves usually have a lower concentration of fragrance oils as well as some skin conditioning ingredients.

Alcohol can strip off a lot of the skin oils that protect the skin, making it drying. If you have oily skin or are pretty young, that may not bother you. Straight alcohol stings like heck, too. You can easily dilute the EdT to make it more like an aftershave, though. You can simply mix it with some witch hazel extract. Optionally, add a small amount of vegetable glycerin, like 2-4%.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use a combination of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid as a daily post-shave balm - moisturizes, protects and repairs - so there are occasions where I will use a splash on EdT or Cologne as an aftershave splash. The two that immediately come to mind are Original Stetson and Canoe. :cool:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use Colognes most of the time. I apply an aftershave balm and then spray the Cologne on my chest for the scent. I never put one over the other.

I agree with atlantic. Each product serves a purpose. AS is to disinfect the skin and close up the pores and provide some soothing etc. Cologne is exclusively for fragrance. Idk what colognes you use but if I were to use mine as AS, I would be very heavily laden with fragrance (to a disgusting and nauseating amount). There is such a thing as too much fragrance! I rarely use AS for the fragrance but instead just to help finish everything off after a shave. A nice mild scent is just a cherry on top. Cologne I use after.

I don't; I prefer to use an EDT spray on my "pressure spots" (behind ears, wrists, chest). I feel that the scent lasts longer there. Plus, my skin greatly appreciates stuff like glycerin or castor oil, as well as menthol, which aren't found in cologne splashes.

I don't think anything bad could happen unless you skin sensitive to a fragrance or it might dry out your face a little. If you used a somewhat moisturizing soap as a lot of soaps have tallow or moisturizing oils, I would imagine this isn't an issue. Depending on the edt you would probably use only a couple sprays vs using aftershave as much as you want. I have used 4711 in heavy amounts as an aftershave and noticed nothing negative. With the longevity of 4711's scent it might as well be an aftershave :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom