What's new

Collection Update Suggestion Hunt

Think my tastes have been steadily changing over the years. I bolstered my collection recently with some stuff I -used- to like. Some worked, some didn't. Discovered a couple houses I almost universally like, and a couple I almost universally don't.

In any case, I'm up for a bit of an overhaul and was hoping somebody might have some ideas of where to look. In case it's relevant, I'm way down in Texas, so it's usually "Kinda Humid, Really Hot" weather. Luckily, my chemistry is weird enough that I can sport Yatagan in July without horrifying everyone.

I also work from home, so maybe I'm just not out enough to get bad reactions.

Current Rotation:

Comme des Garcons Blue Encens -- I really like this stuff, and it's turned me on to the entire CdG line. Just about everything from there I've really liked, and just about everything has almost zero lasting power.

Comme des Garcons 2 Man -- Outstanding stuff. Duration is a little better than the Blue Encens, but still a bit iffy. If CdG could be found on discount ... well, even ONCE in a while I'd probably be able to spend the next handful of years just sampling from these people.

Caron Yatagan -- Got a giant 4.2oz bottle on the cheap years ago and it's still high on my list. I seem to have a fondness for animalic notes. Grew up on a farm, so it's possible I just have an abnormal tolerance for 'dirty' notes. ( Musc Kublai Kahn in the summer type tolerance. )

Creed Erolfa -- Only aquatic/marine that's managed to stay in the lineup. It's really more of a citrus to my nose than anything. I -like- Creed, but very rarely enough to tolerate Creed's price point.

Pen's English Fern -- Another one I like as a quick fresh-up. Really not great lasting power, but that initial geranium blast is nice. Blenheim Bouquet I like.... occasionally. Sartorial is decent. Really just haven't liked the line as much as I thought I would after a bunch of sampling.

So, looks like I missing a good dirty leather, maybe. ( I really liked Grooming Dept's Absinthe and Leather, which is inspired by Mona di Orio Cuir. )

Definitely looking for options outside of the 'hundreds of dollars' niche price range. Azzaro Visit is a recent good example. Could eventually stand-in for Blue Encens, kind of a fresh spicy incense that also happens to run about 15 dollars for a 3.4oz.

Thanks, all.

Top Bottom