What's new

collecting safety razors

ive been collecting safety razors for a couple of month,,,, got some beauties and some beasts.any recomendation for a new collector
:biggrin:

If you haven't already got a copy get Phillip Krumholz's book The Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook do so. He sells it on USA ebay regularly and it is a great resource. The better the condition of the razors you buy the better the resale value if you ever want to get your money out of them. Best of luck with your collecting.

:thumbup1:
ive been collecting safety razors for a couple of month,,,, got some beauties and some beasts.any recomendation for a new collector

Don't start :lol: Seriously, though, don't :biggrin: My biggest recommendation is not to get too many. I made that mistake, and eventually, it had so many of them, I really couldn't enjoy any of them for any length of time, because I felt like I always had to rotate to make sure I was using all of them. So, like everything, in moderation :thumbup1:

I've been semi-collecting since I got my first razor(my Fat Boy) to get myself a nice collection, as well as one for my Father for Fathers Day. I figure a Fat Boy, a Slim, and a SS each, and we should both be happy. To that end, through eBay and local flea markets, I have a total of 4 Fat Boys, 3 slims, and as of an auction that ended a few hours ago, 6 SS's. There are also a few other odds and ends that came in lots. There have been some sweet ones from the Bay, but the best have come from the flea markets/auctions. There's less competition, better haggle room, and you can eye the goods up b4 you make an offer. Hopefully when I get all of the component razors for each of our kits, the RAD will subside, and I can part with some of the less aesthetically pleasing razors.

It's the same as collecting anything. You need to become an expert at one particular item or small, related, area of items.

But first, you should try to identify something that is currently undervalued. For example, the British Gillette Rockets seem to be commanding a higher price right now. So, not them.

A good question for the experts on this forum would be, "what do you consider to be the best value for dollar razor?" See what you get and pick one you like.

Then read and research and become "the" expert on those razors.

Not long ago a Gillette Rocket case, case only, went for thirty dollars on the 'bay. No razor. I'll guarantee a collector had a good Gillette Rocket with no case and he/she was willing to drop the extra bucks to make a set. They are more valuable. Original books, papers, receipts, also make an item more valuable. So, buy them separately and combine them.

You get the idea.

Have fun with it.

Buy high quality. I find looking at 1 or 2 very good razors is more enjoyable than looking at 5 or 6 decent ones. Good ones also appreciate more.

Not long ago a Gillette Rocket case, case only, went for thirty dollars on the 'bay. No razor. I'll guarantee a collector had a good Gillette Rocket with no case and he/she was willing to drop the extra bucks to make a set. They are more valuable.

Yep, that would have been me....:biggrin:

Paul, can you recommend anywhere that's good for picking up older Gillette DE's in the UK? As useful as it can be, i really hate Ebay and they're typically international auctions.

Thanks, mate.

Consider the still-can-be-had-for-a-song GEM. Any GEM. I can hear others on this board yelling at me to shut up, lest our beloved GEM's start commanding Gillette-style prices. I picked a NIB featherweight with blades for $2.99!

Top Bottom