What's new

Cold water shaving

The wife wanted a dog. I didn’t want a dog. So we compromised - we got a dog. I’m retired. Home all day. Alone with the dog. The dog is hyperactive and did I mention I’m home alone with it all day long? The dog that has cost me over $3K so far gets up at least four times a night. It’s cold in Ohio outside without much clothing on at 3:00 am.

Taking a hot shower and shaving with hot water is just about the only thing getting me through right now, other than dinner and the occasional beer or Scotch. I couldn’t imagine shaving with cold water at this time of year, even if it were superior. Maybe in the summer when it’s hot outside and the dog isn’t a puppy anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puppies are difficult, like small children. Things will improve if you put in a bit of ‘training’ time now!
:clap: :clap:

The wife wanted a dog. I didn’t want a dog. So we compromised - we got a dog. I’m retired. Home all day. Alone with the dog. The dog is hyperactive and did I mention I’m home alone with it all day long? The dog that has cost me over $3K so far gets up at least four times a night. It’s cold in Ohio outside without much clothing on at 3:00 am.

Taking a hot shower and shaving with hot water is just about the only thing getting me through right now, other than dinner and the occasional beer or Scotch. I couldn’t imagine shaving with cold water at this time of year, even if it were superior. Maybe in the summer when it’s hot outside and the dog isn’t a puppy anymore.

Winters in the Dakotas can be harsh. That's why after we began collecting dogs my next tax refund went to purchase a fence. It is kind of weird here that homes are built without fenced backyards. Coming from Texas, it seems all houses are built with fenced backyards. It is much easier to just open a backdoor and let the dog go outside. You might want to consider taking away food and water by 5 pm or even earlier. If you control when stuff goes into the dog you can control when it comes out.

Winters in the Dakotas can be harsh. That's why after we began collecting dogs my next tax refund went to purchase a fence. It is kind of weird here that homes are built without fenced backyards. Coming from Texas, it seems all houses are built with fenced backyards. It is much easier to just open a backdoor and let the dog go outside. You might want to consider taking away food and water by 5 pm or even earlier. If you control when stuff goes into the dog you can control when it comes out.

We got a Lab. They’re typically high energy dogs. This one is pretty high on the lab energy scale. But she is getting better each day as she gets older.

Weather forecast is for it to get above freezing later this week. Haven’t seen temps above freezing since January. Not as bad as Texas got, but pretty cold for this part of Ohio.

I've been DE shaving for a bit over 6 months. When I started I used hot water throughout, often shaving in the shower. I got decent shaves, but lots of irritation (part of being a newbie as well). After hanging on this forum I decided to try the cold water thing.

At first I shaved before the shower, wetting my face with cold tap water, cold lather, etc. While the shave itself was not particularly pleasant, the final result was great. Close without irritation. But, as noted, the act of shaving wasn't particularly fun. Now, for me, shaving is just part of my normal grooming routine and, as such, results are far more important than the process.

Of late I've ben showering first in warm water, cold water rinse, then cold water shaving. I'm getting the same great results without irritation, but maybe need to be a bit more careful. And the process itself is a bit more comfortable.

So, for me, I'm staying with cold water and minimum prep.

As mentioned, GEM PTFE blade (4) in a 1907 Ever-Ready Lather Catcher with Proraso Green pre/shave soap--water was cold for Virginia and while the Proraso didn't seem to lather as greatly, it still provided good protection and cushion and the cold water/menthol combo kept everything chilled. The lather catcher gave a lot of feedback but I got a 3 pass BBS shave in with zero irritation, no nicks, and an amazing face feel hours later. I'm going to keep at it and maybe become a convert, who knows?

If you have sensitive skin cold water shaving is the only way to go. I used to get pretty bad shave irritation no matter I did, switched to cold water shaving and haven’t had an issue with irritation since. Hot water is just to harsh on sensitive skin.

If you have sensitive skin cold water shaving is the only way to go. I used to get pretty bad shave irritation no matter I did, switched to cold water shaving and haven’t had an issue with irritation since. Hot water is just to harsh on sensitive skin.
I feel for you. Hot water shaving does not contribute to irritation for me. I would hate to have to give up the warm lather I get from my shave scuttle.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Didn't have a choice today. My water heater bit the dust. Took a shower after shaving because I worked in the dirt yesterday and had to go to work in the office today. Taking a 50F shower is a harsh way to learn water heater appreciation.

Achieved a great shave.

I've tried several times, based on some enthusiastic encouragement here. I don't think I've got a particularly tough beard, but without the heat from a shower or a warm wet towel, I just get too much tugging. It's like trying to shave with a really dull blade.

What kind of prep are people doing to get satisfactory cold water shaves?
I am in the same boat.. so I do hot shower prep, cold splash of water on face to keep beard hydrated, cold lather and shave and cold rinse. Best of both worlds.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like using cold water rinse regardless what time of year and where I live in Northern Canada in get -30 -40C in the winter and I still like a cold water rinse(Stimulating & enjoyable). Fellows who like the the Menthol in everything and can hardly keep their eyes from tearing should just enjoy cold water rinsing at least and maybe use a little less menthol.
I still use warm water for making lather and that might not change and a final rinse with warm water followed by good old cold rinse is just what a person needs.🥶

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I splash my face with cold water before the shave and use cold water to rinse off the razor while shaving and when it's done...another cold water splash. So...I am a cold water shaver. Like many other members have already posted...it's reduced irritation, especially on my neck.

I like the feel of warm wet lather too much. When someone explains that cold water will without-a-doubt improve my shaves I stick my fingers in my ears and say "la la la - I'm not listening". And I feel that way even WITHOUT a dog around.

Top Bottom