What's new

Cold water shaving

I like the feel of warm wet lather too much. When someone explains that cold water will without-a-doubt improve my shaves I stick my fingers in my ears and say "la la la - I'm not listening". And I feel that way even WITHOUT a dog around.

The reason why most people try cold water shaving is because they have some kind of problem/problems when shaving and they are trying to find out if that's going to help them or not. There's absolutely no reason for a person who has zero issues to change is routine if he doesn't want to. After all, not all of us are blessed with thin and soft facial hair and super smooth skin.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I will occasionally cold water shave, but not frequently. It does give me a closer shave, but I find that if I'm not at the top of my game, I'm more likely to end up with weepers. Plus it's easier to rinse the razor with hot water. So it's usually a summertime thing.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I take my shaves hot and my rinses cold, thank you.

I will concede that cold rinses often reveal rough spots that need touching up, so I'm always at the ready with my razor after rinsing, lest I suffer a fate worse than death: the DREADED OLD-MAN'S SHAVE with unshorn patches of whiskers here and there.

This is a meaningless comparison without context. Which aspect of the shave are cold? If I use cold water to lather and shave, but was hitting my beard with scalding hot water during my pre-shave shower, would it still be considered a "CWS"?

The reason why most people try cold water shaving is because they have some kind of problem/problems when shaving and they are trying to find out if that's going to help them or not. There's absolutely no reason for a person who has zero issues to change is routine if he doesn't want to. After all, not all of us are blessed with thin and soft facial hair and super smooth skin.
There's also no reason for a person who has one razor that works well to buy additional razors. We only have one face, so why do we need a dozen or more razors?

Well, some of the temptations and joys of life are experimentation, and searching for a better way or a more pleasant experience.

Cool water shaving is fine, but warm water shaving also is fine. Chocolate ice cream is fine, but vanilla ice cream also is fine.

I don't like the term "cold water shaving." Isn't cool water shaving what we're really talking about?

There's also no reason for a person who has one razor that works well to buy additional razors. We only have one face, so why do we need a dozen or more razors?

Well, some of the temptations and joys of life is experimentation, and searching for a better way or a more pleasant experience.

Cool water shaving is fine, but warm water shaving also is fine. Chocolate ice cream is fine, but vanilla ice cream also is fine.

I don't like the term "cold water shaving." Isn't cool water shaving what we're really talking about?

True, I was just talking from my perspective and the reason why I use cold water before shaving. I do prefer warm water for obvious reasons, but since I get better results by using cold water i've decided to permanently upgrade/change my shaving routine. If I didn't felt any difference I wouldn't have used cold water unless I have no other choice.

If I use cold water to lather and shave, but was hitting my beard with scalding hot water during my pre-shave shower, would it still be considered a "CWS"?

No. A cold water shave is cold water throughout. A hot or warm shower prior to shaving would defeat the object.

Tried a compromise CW shave today. Face washed with tepid water, lather was warm. Between stroke blades rinses were cold. Seemed smooth. No irritation. Will repeat

Yup. I still get irritation. Trying new things. Cold water rinse seems to reduce redness for me.

I usually do warm water shave. I use a bit colder water after final pass to wash lather off. They I apply alum, clean my gear and do another rinse with colder water to wash alum off before applying AS.

Last week I ran out of hot water during my shower. YIEKS!!! So I was kinda forced to do a COLD water shave and I hated every minute of it.

Lather seemed less slick than usual. Cold water hardened my whiskers and blade felt tuggy. And we are talking about Nacet on shave #2 here. And feeling of cold SS on skin was just horrific.

Quality of shave was kind of OK. It was a bit less close than usual because I was afraid of irritation (tuggy feeling) and because I didn't wan't to suffer cold steel on my face anymore. Luckily I didn't have to do final rinse with that icy water, heater warmed it up a bit during my shave. Alum and AS sting was pretty much as usual, barely noticeable and kinda pleasant.

After all this I can conclude that cold water shave is not for me.

I wash my face with cold water pre shave and between every pass and wash with very cold after shave.
Also, I use scuttle with hottest possible tap water to make very warm lather. This combination seems to give me best results every time. And it feels wonderful.

I just tried a cold water shave, though I don’t have issues with warm shaves, I simply did it as a test. I didn’t get any irritation or tugging, and I used a mentholated aftershave, super chilly and nice. My shower was cold too, and I used turtle ship bay rum soap. I think I’ll stick with it since I like the feel of cold water.

I think I’ll stick with it since I like the feel of cold water.

That's why I started cold-water shaving. I caught myself looking forward to the cold rinse at the end more and more, and it finally occurred to me I could feel that way the whole shave if I just cold-water shaved. Honestly, it doesn't make that much of a difference in shave quality, particularly if I shave after a hot shower.

The other reason I do it nowadays is that most houses don't have central A/C in the North, so since I moved up here I tend to sweat so much in the summertime I ruin my lather if I try to hot-water shave.

Just had my 1st de cold head shave..and boom!!zero bumps!!it made a massive difference.and it took alot less time and less passes too.and when i ran my alum block over my nut,i couldn't feel anything at all.i couldn't be happier with the outcome...so I'm a cold wet shaving convert,100%😎 haha.to think I've been putting up with getting bumps for the last 8 months.i thought it might have been the proraso green and having sensitive skin.I'm stoked it was just a water thing instead.might have to give the green another bout in 3 days lol

I have a couple citrus scented soaps/creams that I prefer to use when I cold shave... in fact, I was planning to load a big glass with ice water for filling a scuttle on the next one, trying for a super cold orange lather to excite the senses.

Top Bottom