What's new

Cold water shaving

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Cold water shaving in the middle of a hot dry Australian summer is very refreshing. My mate taught me after he started cold shaving while serving in the Vietnam War due to the hot, humid conditions. Some Aussie did not use shaving soap while on active ops because the Viet Cong could smell them. Sometimes they referred to Australian and American troops as the elephants because you could tell they were coming miles away. I did not serve so I am only relaying what I was told. I am sure that there are a number of vets would be able to tell much better stories.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Cold water shaving in the middle of a hot dry Australian summer is very refreshing. My mate taught me after he started cold shaving while serving in the Vietnam War due to the hot, humid conditions. Some Aussie did not use shaving soap while on active ops because the Viet Cong could smell them. Sometimes they referred to Australian and American troops as the elephants because you could tell they were coming miles away. I did not serve so I am only relaying what I was told. I am sure that there are a number of vets would be able to tell much better stories.
It was not do much the shave soap scents but rather the after-shave lotions that where used. This was particulary so for the US troops. The AU troops were more careful about not broadcasting their presence.

I DID IT...

I shaved early this morning but couldn't get this thread out of my head...so I did it.
I grabbed a glass of ice cubes from the fridge and went to the den. I was a doubter so I wanted to take all the precautions possible. I grabbed my E Jagger 89, my smoothest razor and a new Nacet blade. I dumped several ice cubes in a basin of water, splashed my face and applied Proraso white pre-shave.

It was the moment of truth.
When I thought of my coldest lather, I had no choice but Proraso green. I painted the lather with my softest brush and started the shave. After the first pass, more icy cold splashes of water, re-lather and another pass. Eureka! My skin was not red or irritated at all. This cold water shaving works!
Post shave, I applied Cremo Cooling Balm, my only mentholated AS.

I was a skeptic and doubting Thomas about cold water shaving. My experience was great. I encourage others to give it a try...with icy water and cold splashes through your routine. As I am writing, I am still surprised (in a good way) how calm and comfortable my face feels. I will definitely try this again.

Google “ Arrector Pili “ ,
find out what it is and what it
actually does ,how does this relate to cold water shaving and
you may discover another good reason to use cold water for shaving ,especially those of you
with flat growing stubble ,like myself .

Just my 2 cents .
I agree, I read years ago that Benjamin Franklin was a strong advocate of cold water shaving according to him cold water makes your beard stand up stiff making it a very clean cut smooth shave, and that was in the 1700’s

Top Bottom