What's new

Coffee failure- Oh no

I have the Yama 5-cup stovetop model with the cloth filter. It makes pretty good coffee, second only to the Bialetti, but I melted the gasket, and those Italians aren't exactly known for being industrious, so I'm waiting for a new batch to be made and shipped here. It helps if you remember to put water in the pot before putting it on the stove, but anyway...

The only issue with the 5-cup Yama is the stem is too high. It accepts a little over 5 cups but nearly 2 cups stays in the bottom. You can get it closer to 1 cup by letting it bubble and having the water go below the stem, but it's not good for the coffee to let all that steam through the top. I prefer to watch it closely, and move it part-way off the fire when it gets close, and just let it sit half way off the burner for 30-60 seconds before removing it from the fire entirely. It's close enough if I just turn off the flame when it first bubbles and leave it on the burner for a while.

I have the Yama 5-cup stovetop model with the cloth filter. It makes pretty good coffee, second only to the Bialetti, but I melted the gasket, and those Italians aren't exactly known for being industrious, so I'm waiting for a new batch to be made and shipped here. It helps if you remember to put water in the pot before putting it on the stove, but anyway...

The only issue with the 5-cup Yama is the stem is too high. It accepts a little over 5 cups but nearly 2 cups stays in the bottom. You can get it closer to 1 cup by letting it bubble and having the water go below the stem, but it's not good for the coffee to let all that steam through the top. I prefer to watch it closely, and move it part-way off the fire when it gets close, and just let it sit half way off the burner for 30-60 seconds before removing it from the fire entirely. It's close enough if I just turn off the flame when it first bubbles and leave it on the burner for a while.

Don't add your coffee until the water in the upper chamber has stabilized at the desired brew temperature.

Jason, you are saying to let the water come up into the top chamber then add the coffee?

And if so, does it matter if you preheat the water? I boil mine separately, then rinse the vacuum pot with a little hot water, then put it all together, including coffee grinds, and put it back on a small flame.

First off Jim sorry for the mishap. I know you well enough to know you can figure out how to make a gasket.

On advice from Scott, I preheat my water which really does nothing more than speed up the process. I then add the heated water to the bottom pot, assemble, insert the rod and add the coffee. once the water has filled the top I immediately remove it from the heat and let it cool and drain.

I've never had an issue and always have a great cup of coffee.

I preheat my water which really does nothing more than speed up the process. I then add the heated water to the bottom pot, assemble, insert the rod and add the coffee. once the water has filled the top I immediately remove it from the heat and let it cool and drain.

I don't understand this "preheat the water" practice. Is their some faster way to heat the water other than in the bottom pot? And is it so much faster that it is worth the trouble of an extra transfer of water from one place to another?

All this talk has got me interested in trying my Yama again.

I don't understand this "preheat the water" practice. Is their some faster way to heat the water other than in the bottom pot? And is it so much faster that it is worth the trouble of an extra transfer of water from one place to another?

All this talk has got me interested in trying my Yama again.

SweetMaria, among others, recommends heating the water elsewhere. It just takes too long using a lamp-type burner. With a stove top unit, there's some concern that the glass might not be tolerant to the high flame necessary to heat quickly, and you're not supposed to use glass directly on an electric. I don't see why my stove-top unit would be a problem on a gas stove, but I heat the water in a separate glass water kettle because it's much larger and I want the extra water to heat the cups.

It also speed up the brewing process, so I can wander around and let the whistling kettle tell me when the water's hot. Then it's only three minutes of watching, stirring, and waiting before I can pour my cup.

There might also be issues with water coming up into the grinds before it's hot enough. That's still an open question.

Last edited:
SweetMaria, among others, recommends heating the water elsewhere. It just takes too long using a lamp-type burner. With a stove top unit, there's some concern that the glass might not be tolerant to the high flame necessary to heat quickly, and you're not supposed to use glass directly on an electric. I don't see why my stove-top unit would be a problem on a gas stove, but I heat the water in a separate glass water kettle because it's much larger and I want the extra water to heat the cups.

It also speed up the brewing process, so I can wander around and let the whistling kettle tell me when the water's hot. Then it's only three minutes of watching, stirring, and waiting before I can pour my cup.

There might also be issues with water coming up into the grinds before it's hot enough. That's still an open question.

Well that all makes sense!

In my case (Yama 8) I have never had trouble with max heat under the Yama pot (gas stove). I start the water first thing so by the time I am done with the rest of the prep work the water is just about right and therefore no waiting around nor needing a reminder whistle.

Water doesn't come up early because I don't affix the top half (already prepared with the grounds) until the water is ready.

Microwave pre-heats my cup.

But who am I to say? I gave up on the Yama because I couldn't get consistent results. My suspicion was the filter imparting stale flavor after the first use. I didn't want to go to the trouble and expense of getting a glass filter rod because I was afraid it would let too many grounds slip through. I tried bleach and OxyClean but they didn't help (nor hurt, I don't think).

Last edited:
SweetMaria, among others, recommends heating the water elsewhere. It just takes too long using a lamp-type burner. With a stove top unit, there's some concern that the glass might not be tolerant to the high flame necessary to heat quickly, and you're not supposed to use glass directly on an electric.

Exactly...

Oh, and Bob, I use an electric kettle that takes no more than 3 minutes to heat enough water for ten cups.

Last edited:
Yeah, but last I looked I think I could get a whole Yama for the price of a Cory rod! (OK, an exaggeration, but not much of one.)

I think there is a group buy for them and the cloth filters as well.

Edit> pm me for link

Last edited:
Jason, you are saying to let the water come up into the top chamber then add the coffee?

Yes. Then stir just enough to saturate. No more, no less.

Time your brew from initial coffee-water contact.

If you are familiar with your brewer, figuring out how much intentional dwell time to allow for shouldn't be too difficult. (based on how long the draw-down takes)

This poses a slight challenge when using the glass rod (since stirring to saturate with the glass rod in the way can be tricky).

I was thinking, when the filter goes, to just use cheesecloth. Guess I'll find out how it goes.

Cloth filters can be found online. You can clean them with oxyclean or urnex. (fun fact: coffee oil cleaning detergents were initially invented to clean cloth filters)

Cloth filters can be found online. You can clean them with oxyclean or urnex. (fun fact: coffee oil cleaning detergents were initially invented to clean cloth filters)

Yeah, but $1 for a 4" square of cloth seems excessive, and I have to store them and remember where they are. Comes out to $135/linear yard.

Yeah, but $1 for a 4" square of cloth seems excessive, and I have to store them and remember where they are. Comes out to $135/linear yard.
I've never had an issue with losing them, or their cost. If you think $1 for a cloth filter that will last for a few weeks is expensive, then maybe specialty coffee isn't for you.

I don't mean to offend, but seriously. This isn't something folks get into for money-saving reasons.

Top Bottom