What's new

Clubman going bad after 1 month?

I know people have posted about Clubman changing while it sits in the plastic bottle. I've only had it a month or so, but I swear today when I opened it there was a different, slightly odd smell. Am I imagining things due to all the threads I've read?

I did notice an odd smell coming from mine after I'd had it a while. It was sort of a plastic-y, chemical smell, and I really didn't like it. I found a nice empty vintage Clubman bottle made of glass and transferred the contents from the plastic bottle. The bad smell was gone. I think the weird odor had to be coming from that cheap plastic orifice reducer in the bottle's mouth. I haven't had a problem since.

That's just my experience.

-- Sammy

Last edited:
I did notice an odd smell coming from mine after I'd had it a while. It was sort of a plastic-y, chemical smell, and I really didn't like it. I found a nice empty vintage Clubman bottle made of glass and transferred the contents from the plastic bottle. The bad smell was gone. I think the weird odor had to be coming from that cheap plastic orifice reducer in the bottle's mouth. I haven't had a problem since.

That's just my experience.

-- Sammy
If the stuff went bad sitting in a plastic bottle, why transfer it to glass? Better to just throw out the first batch and buy a fresh bottle, then transfer it immediately to the glass container.

The same thing happened to me with The Veg. It smelled fine the first time I used it, but it was only after a few weeks that it started to acquire its reputation as a stinker.

My bottle is about 5 months old, half way done. In the past few weeks, I too have noticed an off-scent. Kind of skunky. It goes away after I pour some in my hands and splash it on my face. Have been contemplating getting rid of the bottle but may hang on to it a little longer. Maybe I'll 3017 stuff in glass bottles to make way for the stuff in plastic bottles.

I went and bought a couple of bottles of cheap hot sauce. They were abut $.60 each. Washed them a ton and used them for a transfer. Worked great.

Top Bottom