What's new

Close shaving DE Razors with very little blade exposure?

R

romsitsa

LeCoq cage head or Swing, both with an old type cap. Or simply a thin head old type.

Adam

The closest shave I can get with a negative blade exposure razor is the Tatara Masamune and the RazoRock Lupo. I put a very sharp blade in both and fire away. Always super smooth and my skin feels like I didn't even shave...just wiped off the beard.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'll do a quick shout out, to the almost forgotten razor, the Frendrihan Mk2 stainless. It fits your bill and costs only around $40 and will last forever.

Merkur slants, 37c and 39c have small exposure, and a tight hold on the blade that helps prevent "chatter"

Start out with a solid and proven performer - Gillette Tech, for example. I have several Pre War and Post War varieties, and they all easily give a perfect 12 hour shave if I do my part. The economical brass and nickel Techs and most of the quality clones will give you a solid opportunity to develop and refine your shave technique before you decide to go on to the spendy zamak & chrome models with the glitzy names.
Some of my current 3 piece top performers in rotation at the moment include: #160 Goodwill, an Old Type, a Pre-War Ball Handle Tech, and a Razo Rock Teck II. Arriving in the mail tomorrow will be a Pre War Fat Handle, fabled to be one of the top best Techs. For TTO razors, an early 50's (or the 1947) Super Speed gives Excellent shaves, too.
A quality soap can be instrumental in an excellent shave, too. Look for something extra slick with dense lather. ToBS creams and even LEA or Palmolive Creams are great basic soaps. Get a puck of Williams, too, just to be able to master building a great lather with it without having to go thru all kinds of incantations, gyrations, voo-doo or blooming. Loading up a damp brush from the puck to do a bowl lather ain't difficult.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'll do a quick shout out, to the almost forgotten razor, the Frendrihan Mk2 stainless. It fits your bill and costs only around $40 and will last forever.

Did a search on the Frendrihan Mk2 stainless and read that it is well regarded.

Do you still use your Frendrihan Mk2 regularly?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Did a search on the Frendrihan Mk2 stainless and read that it is well regarded.

Do you still use your Frendrihan Mk2 regularly?
No, I use Fatips pretty exclusively nowadays. I have thought about breaking it out. It has a Merkur style head, but with a little more blade feel and more efficient. I rank it around my Fatip Testina Gentile. I really did get excellent shaves from it.

if you have not tried the Edwin Jagger DE89, it may fit your bill. I like its neutral to negative blade exposure with enough gap to get a close shave. Try it with a Derby Astra Feather very different shaves, all comfortable, no blade feel, for me anyway and BBS or close to it with 3 passes.

Top Bottom