What's new

Cleaning vintage case interriors?

Any restorers out there have any tips they'd like to share to clean up some of the vintage case interiors of these old treasures? Best I've come up with so far is to turn them upside down and gently brush with a soft brush.

Can these be cleaned via steam, carpet solution or anything else?

I sometimes fold over some adhesive tape so that the sticky side is exposed. Then use it to dab the inside of the box. This works well picking up hair, dust and dirt.

I sometimes fold over some adhesive tape so that the sticky side is exposed. Then use it to dab the inside of the box. This works well picking up hair, dust and dirt.

Oh, great tip! Why didn't I think of that??? Thanks. :thumbup1:

Any others folks?

I do the same and also wrap it backwards on a q-tip to get into tight areas. HOWEVER: I would not use this method on any silkscreened logo. I found out the hard way that 70 year old silkscreens can come off with the tape!!!

I do the same and also wrap it backwards on a q-tip to get into tight areas. HOWEVER: I would not use this method on any silkscreened logo. I found out the hard way that 70 year old silkscreens can come off with the tape!!!
Excellent, thanks for the warning!

Thought to do this thread as I was searching for a better way. The case I ended up finding for my President was pretty ratty on the inside. Worse yet, it smelled. I actually ended up removing the metal base insert and washing it (liquid hand soap and toothbrush). Knew it would carry away some of the already deteriorating fabric. Decided it didn't matter at this point, that smell had to go (and it did!).

Difficult to get the insert back in properly too, but it's now become an acceptable temporary home. Ike now rests in the shabby (but not smelly!) digs, awaiting the next turn in the rotation (and a new home, as soon as I spot a nice President case with an incorrect razor).

Thing is, I still have the old pocket edition case to deal with, and it's lining though removed, is largely intact and NOT smelly, just quite dirty.

Last edited:
hi all
a couple of cases i have used a baby wipe and then left in the sun , came up quite well .:wink2:

Top Bottom