What's new

cleaning the coffee smell/residue from plastic

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hello, just wondering how one cleans the old aroma of coffee past from plastic parts, like a thermos? I got one of those contigo cups and usually drink coffee from it, today filled it with tea and blergh... I tried hitting it with Dawn and a toothbrush to really get into the threads/nook/crannies but it's still there, a google search says a baking powder/vinegar soak works.... any other ideas?

proxy.php

Slighty less expensive works for me, less I spend means more for other things... I will give that a look, thank you

The thing about these specialized products is that they really get in there to remove coffee residue. Especially in the crevices, but I've never actually used it on anything plastic. I would do a quick search online to see if its OK for plastic, but when I soak portafilter handles, baskets or backflush with detergent you can clearly see the water turning brown so the product does make it easier.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Update, so this def got put on the back burner being as school was nearing the end at the time and my thermos was put away for the summer, but with school to start up again, I went online and bought a jar of Cafiza tablets to soak. It is on its way and I shall update in how it goes.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hot coffee - in plastic?
I'd be worried about the plasticizers & carcinogens.
Same here
nothing cleans coffee stain from stainless steel better than bleach
not the best for the environment
i use it when Ralph nader isnt home

Update, so this def got put on the back burner being as school was nearing the end at the time and my thermos was put away for the summer, but with school to start up again, I went online and bought a jar of Cafiza tablets to soak. It is on its way and I shall update in how it goes.

Don't go more than 30 minutes soaking. Use as hot water as you dare.

It works great on glass and stainless. Never tried it on plastic.

Regarding bleach. I used to be of the same idea, but instead of chlorine bleach use an oxygen bleach (i.e. oxyclean) to remove coffee and tea stains. It will work well without harm to the environment or your hands.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
egarding bleach. I used to be of the same idea, but instead of chlorine bleach use an oxygen bleach (i.e. oxyclean) to remove coffee and tea stains. It will work well without harm to the environment or your hands.
Good to know, thanks.

I was just going to suggest oxiclean as an alternative..that stuff has replaced many other products in my home.

I've used it to clean the coffee oils off of my roaster parts as I don't want to use strong chemicals that I might not be able to completely remove.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Alright, so heres what happened, I took my contigo mug apart, filled the smaller of the two sinks with about an inch and a half of the hottest water out of he tap. Threw in the lid and bottom, three in two of th cafiza tabs and went away. Came back, and looked at the parts... the stainless steel body was clean, but the lid was not, still was discloured... took a toothbrush to it while rinsing... still coffee coloured and had the smell in it. Maybe I had used too much water and not hot enough water, so turned the lid upside down, threw a tablet into a crevice, and poured boiling water into it. Set a timer for 30 mins, came back, gave it a good rince/toothbrushing... and same.

Top Bottom