What's new

Cleaning DE razors

MAAS is a metal polish. It comes in a tube i bought mine at wal-mart but i have seen it other places. It somes in a tube about the size between a travel tube of tooth paste and a regular tube. You can find it in the cleaning isle.

MAAS is a metal polish. It comes in a tube i bought mine at wal-mart but i have seen it other places. It somes in a tube about the size between a travel tube of tooth paste and a regular tube. You can find it in the cleaning isle.

Right next to the Brasso which is a dollar cheaper.

Christopher

I use Nevr-Dull on my razors and have had great results with it. It comes impregnated in cotton cloth and seems to be very mild, it has never stripped paint or plating for me.

Some of my best advice regarding cleaning razors would be to NOT boil blue tips as this creates a tarnish on the aluminum handle.

Would it be a stupid thing to do to just wipe the razor with some rubbing alcohol? Because that's the only thing I have around the house.

Rubbing alcohol would be fine, at least on chrome/nickel plated razors. Don't know if it affects the laquer on gold plated razors, since I've never tried it. :smile:

Another thing I have found useful is pipe cleaners - those long, bendy, fuzzy things - if you can find them nowadays. I have an old pack of them, and have just recently thought to use them in cleaning razors.

What is the purpose of foil with the hot water? Does that help "save" the finish? I've found that borax works just fine without it. Could I be missing something?

Rubbing alcohol would be fine, at least on chrome/nickel plated razors. Don't know if it affects the laquer on gold plated razors, since I've never tried it. :smile:

The whole idea behind gold plating something (besides making it look like goooooooold) is protecting it from tarnish and corrosion (an olde-tyme stainless steel, if you will).

Because gold reacts with very few elements, I would think a complete gold-plated finish (i.e., not flaked anywhere) would be fine to treat with everything short of acid (and even there I would bet it wouldn't harm a full finish).

I've heard good things about soaking a TTO or adjustable in mineral oil to help with the action. Can anyone comment on this?

The whole idea behind gold plating something (besides making it look like goooooooold) is protecting it from tarnish and corrosion (an olde-tyme stainless steel, if you will).

Because gold reacts with very few elements, I would think a complete gold-plated finish (i.e., not flaked anywhere) would be fine to treat with everything short of acid (and even there I would bet it wouldn't harm a full finish).

This is true, but most, if not all, gold plated razors only have a very, very thin coating of gold. To protect it from being rubbed off, I understand that they coated the gold with a layer of laquer. Take away the laquer, and the gold will start to erode with normal use, until whatever lies beneath (nickel or copper or whatever) will start to shine through.

I wasn't referring to the gold itself, but rather the protective laquer re using rubbing alcohol. I have no idea if rubbing alcohol will dissolve that protective laquer or not.

Just wanted to clarify this. :smile:

/Nicholas

I've heard good things about soaking a TTO or adjustable in mineral oil to help with the action. Can anyone comment on this?

The TTO contains mechanical, moving parts. Personally I would think that lubricating them with mineral oil would help them work smoothly. Others claim that the oil will trap dust and dirt and make it gunk up. I think it's a case of Your Mileage May Vary. :smile:

/Nicholas

I think it's beneficial in making this a sticky (which it is), but the information is really directed at Silver plated razors. Perhaps someone could share there technique (the steps required, not a tip or two) on how to deal with gold plated beauties. Thanks

You can also go to an extreme if you are the type that is fine with "restored razors" of getting them stripped down and re-plated. It's easiest with 3-piece or other razors that aren't TTO. However, I bet with sufficient research and skill re-plating TTO razors would be possible. I'm currently working on a safe way to disassemble old TTOs; currently going with the idea of a snap-ring in the twisty part of the handle holding the works together.

For regular cleaning I just do scrubbing bubbles soak then scrub with a tooth brush, rubbing alcohol (or even acetone) soak and scrub with a tooth brush, and then a light oiling. Then they get polished with something, depending on how the finish is (MAAS, Brasso, rouge, or just a cloth).

Gold gets a similar treatment, but much more gentle, and then is re-lacquered. Gold TTO just gets scrubbing bubbled, because the re-lacquering might jam the works.

I just (ten minutes ago)tried for the first time, a gold plated Milord that was not in the best conditio to start. I just used a little dish soap and vinager and I was realy surprised at how well, nice and shiny it came out...Sweet...
I think I'll try a nicer one next...

Here's what I did with my two newest classic DE's (in my sig). I read this thread and came up with my own modified routine:

- Place razor in Ziploc tupperware. Add Ecover dishwashing liquid.
- Pour in boiling water. Let stand for several minutes.
- Pour water out, repeat.
- Mix Bon Ami and Ecover together to make a paste. Put hot water in tupperware. Clean razor with toothbrush and paste. Rinse in tupperware.
- Soak in alcohol for at least 20 minutes.
- Optional: hydrogen peroxide soak, then alcohol soak/rinse.

If the razor really is rhodium plated, it won't tarnish...that is the big deal with Rhodium...like gold it can't tarnish. If it is dull, it's most likely nickel which is what happens over time (decades). Until just the other day, the only thing I thought Rhodium was used for was to plate fountain pen nibs. For obvious reason, immersion in ink which is mostly water will cause tarnish over time if not otherwise treated.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned baking soda and vinegar. The only problem I could see is that the plating could be compromised by the acidity of the vinegar. Has anyone tried this?

Top Bottom