What's new

Cleaning a DE with Brasso?

I've got a bunch of DE's I want to clean up. Some have little oxidation pockmarks. Can these be cleaned with brasso or will it strip the plating?

Attachments

• D35A30FA-AE28-4067-9D06-59DA82ECDE2B.jpeg
    D35A30FA-AE28-4067-9D06-59DA82ECDE2B.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 27
I've got a bunch of DE's I want to clean up. Some have little oxidation pockmarks. Can these be cleaned with brasso or will it strip the plating?
Have you tried letting them soak in dish washing liquid and or a diluted concentration of vinegar?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Actually thanks for reminding me. I hadn't because I didnt think we had any vinegar even though I had just bought some... then I saw it in my garage yesterday... I'll give that a try now and if it doesn't do the trick I'll pick up some flitz.

I've had good results with toothbrush and toothpaste for a gentle polish for razors - taking off the grime/soap scum. I'd keep away from corrosive cleaners like vinegar (diluted is okay) and brasso as they might eat away the nickel plating on an older razor.

If toothpaste doesn't work, Flitz is great for spot treatments those tougher stains/tarnish. It's gentle on the plating.

However, if you have a solid metal razor, then the brasso/vinegar might be okay.

Here's my Karve, before and after using toothpaste to clean it:
proxy.php

Can these be cleaned with brasso or will it strip the plating?
Brasso is a metal polish which will strip the plating so it is too harsh unless you are already down to the brass. I think brass looks better with a patina; for razors anyway.
Just soap and water and scrub with an old toothbrush will work wonders. You can use some toothpaste for added scrub.

It's important to note that any metal polish is an abrasive and not really a cleaner. You are indiscriminately removing material when you polish so it should only be used when nothing else works and if you are certain that you're okay with losing plating.

Haven't used Brasso on anything since my military days in the late 1960s and early 70s. For old DE's, I found just soaking in Dawn and using a soft toothbrush worked best. At most, I would use MAAS metal polish.

I’d soak first but I trust Flitz with nickel plate and a gentle hand. Once it comes off, it comes off so don’t be overzealous. Don’t use anything on gold or silver plate.

Brasso is hard core stuff but I did use it on a DE, a stainless one. Didn’t like the finish on my GC and the ones I bought my sons. Went to work first with Flitz then ended with Brasso for a mirror like finish that matched the handle. Did it all by hand as I don’t have a wheel. Lost some skin cells but they came out perfect.

R

romsitsa

Hello, clean it then use an automotive polish (nickel/chrome). We don’t have Brasso here, but there is a similar product and it’s more suitable for unplated metals.

Adam

I've used Brasso to polish a couple Gillette New and Old Types. It worked great getting rid a lot of tarnish and green spots. However the plating on these razors was mostly gone already. Nickel plated razors I cleaned with Dawn, hot water and sometimes Scrubbing Bubbles. My Karve I polished with regular Colgate toothpaste which got the patina off, but didn't hurt the finish.

Top Bottom