What's new

Classics not to be missed?

Couldn't agree more, I was hoping for a variety of opinions and I definitely got it. It is interesting to see what gets repeat mentions though.

I am realizing what MWF stands for, but what is MdC?
Martin de Candre. Really expensive, but lasts a really long time. (So I have read; I have not used it myself yet)

Whenever a friend or relative ask me to compile a list of classic soaps for them to try out/buy, I usually go with

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Cella
Tabac
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Dr Harris Windsor
Proraso Green
RazoRock XXX (modern classic)
Martin De Candre

I have to admit that when I first read this post I thought it meant which classics shouldn't/wouldn't be missed.. as in, if they went away and were no longer produced...
My list of wouldn't be missed would consist of only one.

MWF

I have to admit that when I first read this post I thought it meant which classics shouldn't/wouldn't be missed.. as in, if they went away and were no longer produced...
My list of wouldn't be missed would consist of only one.

MWF
Sorry for any confusion!

It sounds like MWF is a contentious one. Is it scented?

I'll add D.R. Harris to my list. Thank you!

It sounds like MWF is a contentious one. Is it scented?
Due to a variety of factors, some have difficulty lathering it. It also contains lanolin, so it is a potential allergen for anyone sensitive to lanolin.

I grate it in a cheese grater and press it into a bowl and have no trouble at all lathering MWF (same for Williams Mug, another soap many find (found) tricky to lather. (it has been discontinued by the manufacturer)).

MWF has a gentle soap scent that is very pleasant. I personally enjoy it. People like to argue and make fun of Williams and Arko because they are very inexpensive and industrial smelling. MWF is NOTHING like those. It is mild and sophisticated in its soapy scent.

Reactions: nav

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Deffinitely Tabac and of course it shoukd be old tallow formula! But sadly it is unobtanium. Keep an eye on the bay and BST forum, maybe you get lucky. Also I've been toying with idea of putting one of my Tabac sticks (tallow of course) up on the yearly B&B charity auction.
Guys should I do it? Will there be interest? Or should I wait untill it passes into legend as Irish Moss?
I got some Tabac with tallow in the glass container from Amazon about a month ago.

Due to a variety of factors, some have difficulty lathering it. It also contains lanolin, so it is a potential allergen for anyone sensitive to lanolin.

I grate it in a cheese grater and press it into a bowl and have no trouble at all lathering MWF (same for Williams Mug, another soap many find (found) tricky to lather. (it has been discontinued by the manufacturer)).

MWF has a gentle soap scent that is very pleasant. I personally enjoy it. People like to argue and make fun of Williams and Arko because they are very inexpensive and industrial smelling. MWF is NOTHING like those. It is mild and sophisticated in its soapy scent.
It sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down! At some point I will take up the challenge! 🍻

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
When I ordered mine from Amazon the ingredients listed included tallow. When the soap arrived the ingredients on the label included tallow. Supposedly the new version is vegan.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I keep hearing about the special Tabac "with tallow". Is there an easy way to tell when buying?
This is a copy/paste from the Amazon website. Tabac is listed twice. A prime offering and a non prime offering. I ordered the non prime item. The two images are slightly different too.

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Parfum, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, CI 77891, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Coumarin, AlphaIsomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol

Do you prefer fragrant or unscented soaps? Many of the classic soaps are great performers but smell nasty, eg urinal cake. Of the those so far mentioned, Pre de Provence No 63, TOBS Jermyn Street, and Saponificio Varesino Cubebe top my list of luxury scents.

I keep hearing about the special Tabac "with tallow". Is there an easy way to tell when buying?
Just check the list of ingredients. The old formula will include potassium tallowate & sodium tallowate. The new formula will include potassium laurate & sodium laurate.

Taylor of Old Bond Street--the puck! (Traditional Luxury Shaving Soap)
Osma
Valobra stick (if it's still made)
LEA classic scent (puck)

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom