What's new

Clarification of Old Type razors

Comparing both pictures it seems the grooves were put there by some creative soul at some point in the razors life, trying to make it more aggressive by copying the new improved profile in a way.

Talking about the head with the grooves, the groove on the right looks fine and well done in fact, but the one on the left, although straight, looks slanted; closer to the tips towards the viewer. :confused:

Here's a picture of two Old Type razors. The base plates differ. One has a groove, the other does not. Any comments on these variants?

Not great, but I think you can see the shape difference.

I guess I have an old type ball-ended pocket edition that's made in 1927 or 1928 as I can't find a serial number. Am I thinking right? Unfortunately the pictures from this thread have been removed so I can't search the name by looking at the box. Also, will normal DE blades work? I'm planning to clean it up and use it while travelling. I don't know much about DE's, I'm a straight razor guy :)

Attachments

• $DSC_0002.jpg
    $DSC_0002.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 137
  • $DSC_0003.jpg
    $DSC_0003.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 135
  • $DSCN1549.jpg
    $DSCN1549.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 135
It is an Old Type Ball Handle, and normal blades will work fine in it.

I wonder whatever happened to New Orleans, AsylumGuido, and a couple of others from this thread? Seems like there was a lot of knowledge here. The only one I recognized was Mr Razor I guess.
Johnnie

Top Bottom