What's new

Cigars - What's good?

For NC's, it is hard to beat Padron anything.....
Liga has come a long way and the get a lot of love...
I always have several boxes of Padron 3000's on hand for my NC friends

Having smoked many highly recommended (and rather expensive) cigars in the past, in more recent years I've searched for reasonably priced, $3-5 cigars that taste and smoke like more pricey sticks.

I've been very happy with cigars from: Gispert, La Finca, La Corona and Curivari Buenaventuri.

I recommend 5 Vegas cigars. The offer many different strengths and can easily be found starting at 2 bucks a stick. I always shop at cigars international or cigarbid.com. they are the same company.

I stopped at the B&M near my office after worked today and picked up an Arturo Fuenta Gran Reserva and an Alec Bradley American Sun Grown, both robustos. The owner of the shop recommended both as quality smokes at a decent price.

I told him that I was trying to get back into cigars and told him that I had enjoyed Macanudos and Partagas back when I was in college. He seemed really surprised that I liked both considering how different they are. Is that uncommon?

I'm smoking the Arturo Fuente now. The taste is a bit more on the intense side than I would probably prefer, but overall I'm enjoying it. Sadly the wrapper tore when I pulled the ring off, so I'm trying to keep it pinched in place as I smoke.

I stopped at the B&M near my office after worked today and picked up an Arturo Fuenta Gran Reserva and an Alec Bradley American Sun Grown, both robustos. The owner of the shop recommended both as quality smokes at a decent price.

I told him that I was trying to get back into cigars and told him that I had enjoyed Macanudos and Partagas back when I was in college. He seemed really surprised that I liked both considering how different they are. Is that uncommon?

I'm smoking the Arturo Fuente now. The taste is a bit more on the intense side than I would probably prefer, but overall I'm enjoying it. Sadly the wrapper tore when I pulled the ring off, so I'm trying to keep it pinched in place as I smoke.
Please let us know how the AB American Sun grown is. Just received a box along with the Undercrowns and I haven't smoked either one yet.

So gents, talk to me about seasoning my humidor if you wouldn't mind.

Along with the cigars and humidor, I ordered an 84% Boveda seasoning packet and a couple of 72% Boveda packets. Is the 84% seasoning packet enough to season a humidor of this size? Should I have ordered a couple of them?

I haven't bought a digital hygrometer yet. I figured with Bovedas in there, I would be alright without one for a little while. Any suggestions on that?

I take a paper towel and wipe the inside edges and top and charge the humi device it usually comes with and close the lid, and see if the analog humi device changes. . Before you start look and the analog device to see what it is at, after a cpl hrs check to see where it is, if its close and dry inside add cigars and humi,pack. If not re season it, it shouldnt take more than 2 passes to get there.

New unscented sponge and distilled water is what i use to season the humidor. I do it once in awhile. It really does not matter what you use as long as the cedar RH is higher than the cigars RH and that the RH in the humidor is stabilized. It may take 1-3 consecutive seasonings. I strongly recommend without knowing the capacity of your humidor to invest in Cigar Oasis humidification device. You will thank me later.It has built in hygrometer as well.

He is getting the 50 cigar humi, if the analog is working you should be gtg until you decide how fa r down the rabbit hole you want to go, also if it isnt working, call them up and have them send you a repl, they just pop in

He is getting the 50 cigar humi, if the analog is working you should be gtg until you decide how fa r down the rabbit hole you want to go, also if it isnt working, call them up and have them send you a repl, they just pop in

Yeah, it's the 50 count that comes with the samplers from CI. If I continue down this rabbit hole, I'll be getting a better humidor and will look at better humidification options then. For now, I want to keep things simple.

So are the Boveda seasoning packets no good? I suppose I could use those in addition to a wipe down.

They are probably just fine and works well by themselves and with a wipe down. Make sure you calibrate your hygrometer, analog or digital so you know if it is off and how much. You will be fine and happy smoking.

Lots of excellent advice at this Boveda FAQ page. I recommend the Boveda calibration kit (comprised of one 75% small Boveda, an airtight ziplock bag, and instructions) to calibrate your hygrometer (you should have one), because otherwise, regardless of the humidity number on your Boveda packet, you will never truly know the humidity level in your humidor.

Last edited:
Lots of excellent advice at this Boveda FAQ page. I recommend the Boveda calibration kit (comprised of one 75% small Boveda, an airtight ziplock bag, and instructions) to calibrate your hygrometer (you should have one), because otherwise, regardless of the humidity number on your Boveda packet, you will never truly know the humidity level in your humidor.

Looking at digital hygrometers, they cost less than I anticipated. I may just go ahead and get one soon then move it along to my next humidor.

So gents, talk to me about seasoning my humidor if you wouldn't mind.

Along with the cigars and humidor, I ordered an 84% Boveda seasoning packet and a couple of 72% Boveda packets. Is the 84% seasoning packet enough to season a humidor of this size? Should I have ordered a couple of them?

I haven't bought a digital hygrometer yet. I figured with Bovedas in there, I would be alright without one for a little while. Any suggestions on that?
Be patient....seasoning a humidor properly the first time will save you a lot of aggravation. First, cheap humidors have very thin wood and will warp if you wipe them down with a cloth..always use a passive method.....a new sponge with distilled water works well, but a glass of water is better as it is slower.
Also, toss the analog hygro.....digital are cheap and much more accurate, but should be calibrated first.
Figure on a week to get that puppy in shape.
Good luck

Top Bottom