What's new

Cigars - What's good?

I used to smoke cigars on occasion from the time i turned 18 to midway through college. For some reason, I haven't had one in years, except for an Acid after they started selling them in gas stations in the humi-packs and a Cuban (I can't even remember what it was) when I was in the Dominican Republic close to 5 years ago.

I started off smoking the standard machine made stuff, Swishers, King Edwards, etc and then moved on to better hand rolled stuff. I know I liked Macanudo Portofinos as well as a couple of robustos, which i think were Punch and Partagas.

Just like pipe tobacco, I know cigars are very much a YMMV item, but some suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Any of the following are very good, flavorful sticks IMO:

- Tatuaje Brown or Black Label
- La Flor Dominicana
- My Father
- Padron X000 series
- Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Stories
- Griffin's Robusto
- Liga Privada Papas Fritas

I've been reading about the Papas Fritas you guys have been smoking in the Cigar of the Day thread, those do sound very good!

Try checking out cigars intl , cigar .bid. And look for sample packs , you can do well and get an asstmnt. Whats your liking med, strong ,mild,, you need to know, macanudo,s r mild but if you cant enjoy a strong cigar , dont waste your money. Also if you gettng back in that $35 deal for humi and asst cigars may be a good bet.

Agree with the idea of contacting a cigar retailer who will listen to your likes and assemble a sample pack. The old stand-bys JRCigar and Thompson cigar routinely have sample packs. I've recently done business with Serious Cigars in Houston, and I'm certain if you call or write to them and request a sample pack they will take good care of you.

A robusto would generally run 5 x 50. Try Padron 2000 in a maduro wrapper for a rich full flavored smoke. Natural wrapper if you don't like strong cigars.

I dont smoke much non-cubans, but i do enjoy them on occasion and they do offer a nice break of pace for me

Padron x000 - Nice good daily smoke
Padron 1964 series - this was an absolute gem, pricey
Arturo Fuentes - Chateux series
Dunhill Non Cuban - Good daily cigar

But if you have access to cubans this would be my favourites:-
Montecristo Petit Edmundo - Great cocoa mocha flavours, good 30 minutes smoke
Por Larranga - Montecarlos - cheap and good
Partagas Lusitania - Special occasion smoke, an hour half at least
H Uppmann Connoisseur No 1 - One of my favourites, a good hermoso/robusto size
Ramon Allones Specially Select - Another great robusto, stellar after 2 years of ageing

There are so many good cigars and it really depends on your taste. I know many that are after the next big hype, but for me I have about 13 different cigars that I keep in my cabinet and all seem to fit my taste and I really enjoy. Maybe you will find something you might like on this list!!

Rodriguez series 84
Diamond Crown #3 maduro
Diamond Crown Julius Caeser
Liga Privada #9
Liga Privada UF-13
Tatuaje Cojonu 2003
Tatuaje Cojonu 2006
Roma Craft Mode 5
Liga Feral flying pig
Herrera Esteli by Drew Estates
Carlos Torano exodus 1959 50 year
La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet
Padron 1964 Anniversary maduro

I remembered that Macanudo, Punch, Partagas, and Acids are available in sealed pouches with Boveda packets, so I stopped at a couple of places to find some today. Unfortunately all I could find were the Acid Blondies, was really hoping for a Macanudo or a Partagas, but this will satisfy my need for immediate gratification for the time being. I didn't feel like braving trying to park downtown to go to a B&M, but I'm sure that'll come soon enough.

I got a hold of one of the CI deals on a humidor and 10 cigars for $29.99. Got the following sticks with it:

- Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5x49)
- Hoyo Excalibur Epicure (5.2x50)
- La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 (5.5x54)
- Macanudo Hyde Park (5.5x49)
- CAO Black Bengal (6x50)
- Punch Pita (6.1x50)
- Gurkha Master Select XO (6x60)
- Torano Exodus Silver Robusto (4.7x52)
- Garo Double Habano (7.0x48)
- Graycliff ‘G2’ PGX Toro (6x50)

Also threw in a cheap cutter since I don't have one (though I am eyeing a Xikar) and some 72 R/H Boveda packs and an 84 R/H Boveda seasoning pack for the humidor. This should be enough to see if I want to get into cigars again.

Last edited:
Tonight was my first time smoking a cigar inside. Having an ash tray sitting next to me, being able to set the cigar down made for a much better experience than I remember. In the past I always smoked them outside, and kept the cigar in my hand. This caused me to slow down, which I think led to a much cooler more enjoyable smoke.

I enjoy pipes, but this is so much less fuss. Both are pleasurable, but definitely in different ways.

I got a hold of one of the CI deals on a humidor and 10 cigars for $29.99. Got the following sticks with it:

- Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5x49)
- Hoyo Excalibur Epicure (5.2x50)
- La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 (5.5x54)
- Macanudo Hyde Park (5.5x49)
- CAO Black Bengal (6x50)
- Punch Pita (6.1x50)
- Gurkha Master Select XO (6x60)
- Torano Exodus Silver Robusto (4.7x52)
- Garo Double Habano (7.0x48)
- Graycliff ‘G2’ PGX Toro (6x50)

Also threw in a cheap cutter since I don't have one (though I am eyeing a Xikar) and some 72 R/H Boveda packs and an 84 R/H Boveda seasoning pack for the humidor. This should be enough to see if I want to get into cigars again.
Xikar cutters are one the best.

I'm quite partial to the MUWAT Kentucky Fire-Cured. Hamhocks are good for short smokes, and Fat Mollys are nice longer ones. If you're a lat hound in your pipe tastes, I wouldn't miss it.
Spectres are similar, and actually contain latakia. A bit more nuanced and refined than the in-your-face KFC's.
If you're partial to flavored/sweet cigars, give CI's Legends Copper Label a try. It's a DE product, but a bit less riotous than ACIDs. They're cheap, too, and very good. The only flavored cigar I've reordered.
For a more traditional maduro cigar, I like Vudus. They're exclusive to Famous Smoke, and they're on the lower end of the price scale. They describe them as a cigar for "those who like their beer dark and their coffee black" and they ain't kidding. Very good for a bargain stick though.
For cutters, I've recently gotten into punches. Xikar is always good, but Raging Bull is my favorite so far. Big bore for an easier draw. I'm intrigued by CI's Shuriken cutter (I'm a sucker for gizmos and widgets), but the reviews are mixed. For what it's worth, it's almost always sold out.

Last edited:
Cigars are a lot like smoking a pipe. A lot of the fun is trying things you haven't tried before. You can make some great discoveries both good and bad. Taste is very subjective.

That being said, one cigar that hasn't been mentioned yet is the San Cristobal. I love those stogies among many others. The Liga Privada series as well as the Undercrowns from Drew Estate are superb.

Of course, what I like may taste like a dog rocket to you. You just gotta try 'em all!

Top Bottom