What's new

Cigars to avoid

In the spirit of learning from other’s mistakes, and while understanding that YMMV, what are some cigars that the more experienced smokers would advise passing up? Obviously, you want to avoid the cigars that the guy is selling on the beach and probably the unmarked cigars situated between the beef jerky and gum at the hwy exit gas station. There’s gads of information concerning the more popular brands but not so much on the brands that you could do without?

I have been smoking cigars for a long time. My tastes change over time. My ability to afford premium-priced cigars has changed over time.

I can’t stand Acid cigars, but I have a friend who smokes nothing but Acids.

I will always help a nascent cigar smoker find something to start with. That will usually be a milder cigar, though my tastes run to stronger fare these days. But, it depends on what I’m sipping along with the cigar.

tldr; Nope. [emoji16]

I got a great deal on a box of "Isle Del Sol" by Drew Estate. They were gooey sweet and not at all to my liking. I don't care for added sweeteners or added flavors. Tobacco does just great by itself.

Condition of the cigar is everything. Buy a quality humidor and fill it with quality sample packs on “clearance” from reputable sellers to figure out what you prefer. Like the OldGnome says, start out with something more mild or medium. I personally can’t stand cognac or bourbon infused cigars.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'd avoid flavored cigars because they tend to be inferior tobacco.

It's hard to really put one's finger on a brand to avoid, though. Everything is worth a try. Someone always enjoys something.

Top Bottom