What's new

Cigar Humidification Methods, What Are You Using?

I am usually the type to research things very throughly before making a decision, because I'm cheap and don't like to waste money, OK maybe cheap is not the right word, frugal perhaps is a better term. I'm willing to spend the money on something of quality that will last. I recently got into cigars and bought a so called 300 count humidor which I seasoned properly. It came with two large rectangular humidification bars that mount inside the lid of the humidor, the bars came with the cheap green florist foam, which I have heard are prone to mold. So after some initial research I bought the 69% humidity Boveda packs, which according to their website it would take 12 packs to humidify the unit which I bought, I installed six packs to try first, which weren't producing enough humidity or at least the release rate was too slow and didn't want 12 packs in my humidor taking up that much space. So then I bought the humidification crystals in little 4 ounce jars off eBay, I removed the green florist foam from the humidifier bars that came with the humidor and filled them with the crystals and install them in the lid of the humidor, these produce too much humidity so I now removed them and have ordered the heartfelt brand beads to put inside the bars, hopefully that will work. A little ticked at the waste of money. Just curious what you guys do?

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I used to use the green floral foam w PG solution, then I moved to gel, and I've finally settled on heartfelt beads. So yeah, it's often a journey. But now that I'm on heartfelt beads, I feel like my humidity system is rock solid and I'm very happy. Low maintenance!

Most of my stogies are in the "Fridgidor" which controls the temp and humidity. Its large enough to use an electronic humidifier that monitors the RH and turns itself on and off as needed to maintain the RH. I'm convinced after collecting 700+ cigars and experimenting with everything, from Gel, beads, foam and humi-packs to machines, that machines work best. I think Boveda packs are great for small desk top humidors with a few sticks. The heartfelt beads are good, I use them in the fridgidor to cut back on the refills on the machine, but be careful not to over wet them as they will mold. I just threw out all the beads I have and ordered some more. Don't soak them in water, just spray. I think you have the toughest situation with a mid-sized box. I think Boveda packs are best for desk top humis, it just takes a long time for them to get balanced. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I use bovedas in a biggish seal-tite (150 ct) tupperdore. I'm in it often enough to get some air exchange but since it seals so well, I don't have to keep too many packs in there. The humidity stays right on point, drops a bit when I crack it open, and recovers quickly after I close it up. I thought the beads and boveda offered two way control and would not over humidify. Unscented, silica based crystal kitty litter is another, less expensive alternative.

Beads, I have been using the same beads I bought 10 years ago and I just refresh with D/W once every 3 months in my fridgeidor[FONT=arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]

Foam in the dining room humidor, heartfelt beads in the basement coolerdor and the one that houses my 65% smokes, foam in the office humidor. All work well for me and have for several years. Probably do a machine when I get the walk-in/reach-in done.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have mostly Boveda packs in my (much small than Alpster's) fridgeador, but I also have a couple of gel jars and some Drymistat tubes. The Drymistat tubes really are mostly for the Cigar Caddies, but I couldn't think of a better place to keep them when I wasn't using them. It all seems to work out, although I couldn't tell you what is working the best.

The desktop humidor has a gel brick (thanks, Georg!)

When I lived in Hungary in the 1990s and had unfettered access to Cuban cigars but no humidor, I put a damp sponge in a plastic bag with my box of cigars. I had to monitor the cigars and take the sponge in and out to avoid over-humidifying them, but it worked well as a make-do-with-what-you-have solution.

Use all Boveda packs. Much easier then any other form of humidification. I have 2 72% RH boveda's in my 150 count humidor and it sticks right around 72 never fluctuates.

In a so-called 1500 stick humidor, I have a Hydra electronic humidifier as well as a large bag of humidification beads. Since both adjust to the humidity needs of the box, I have maintained good stability for months. It is a good investment to the much bigger investment in the cigars.

Go to heartfelt beads and never look back. Been using mine for close to 5 years with no issues what so ever.

They are also a 2 way humidification device which a lot of other products are not so keep that in mind.

Top Bottom