What's new

Chubby 2......2 small?

So, ive finished up my 3rd shave with the chubby 2 best......Its a lot smaller brush than all the pictures ive seen led me to believe. I was expecting a monster bloom. Dont get me wrong, I like the brush so far, I just guess after using an Omega boar 20106 and the Shave factory Large boar, this thing feels like a wee scot in my hand........I knew I shouldve went for the 3.

I was lucky enough to stop in west coast shaving on a vacation and had the chubby 2 and chubby 3 side by side. I bought the 3 there is a big difference in size

The Chubby2 is a very large brush. The difference in sizes between the 1, 2 and 3 is quite significant- it is very possible that you would find the Chubby3 to be too large.

Not likely....Take a peek at my newest line up thread....The Shave factory is a big brush, I aint skeert!!!! Im a BBB lover......:001_wub:

So, ive finished up my 3rd shave with the chubby 2 best......Its a lot smaller brush than all the pictures ive seen led me to believe. I was expecting a monster bloom. Dont get me wrong, I like the brush so far, I just guess after using an Omega boar 20106 and the Shave factory Large boar, this thing feels like a wee scot in my hand........I knew I shouldve went for the 3.

I just received my Chubby 2 2-Band from Chris at Shaving.ie and compared to the Chubby 2 in Best and Super 3-band, the 2-Band Chubby 2 is even smaller, I call it the Chubby 1½ :thumbup:
I like medium to large sized brushes, but more than 27-28 mm and a huge bloom is too much for me, my nostrils and my ears - I simply get lather all over, if I use something that big - especially since I only face lather.

I had the Polo 12 in Super 3-Band, used only for bowl/scuttle lathering and that size is OK, as long as I don't face lather with it. But I only face lather now, so I sold all my huge bowl lather brushes - so for me Chubby 2 in 2-Band is awesome in size, and Chubby 2 in Best is a bit towards the too big for me.

But I can see you like huge brushes - you should try the Mühle Silvertip Fibre 25 mm brush, I just bought and received it today with my Chubby 2 2-Bander, and frankly my Chubby 2 is dwarfed by the Mühle Silvertip Fibre 25 mm brush :rolleyes: :tank:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sell the chubby 2 and get a 3.

The chubby 2 is the largest commercial brush I've used that avoids being floppy. I've used brushes bigger than it and found every single one to achieve their size due to floppiness (even the Chubby 3 isn't THAT much bigger as a brush, just a LOT loftier than the 2 and while the 2 has no flop, the 3 is a tad).

You should also get a semogue 2000, it'd fit right in with your two boars.

Chubbies don't really have monster blooms. They are dense, short-lofted brushes. The Vulfix 41 would be more that speed.

(from Kyle's review, but mine looks the same)

Chubbies don't really have monster blooms. They are dense, short-lofted brushes. The Vulfix 41 would be more that speed.

(from Kyle's review, but mine looks the same)

Maybe not, but I can tell you, that a Chubby 2 in 2-Band blooms no way near as much as a Chubby 2 in 3-Band or Best hair, same with Duke 3 and 2........

Yeah that Muhle brush looks like the kent bk8, so I probably would like that one. The Vulfix 41 I owned for a few months before, it was just to moppy....(nicely sized tho)

I used the chubby 2 best again this morning, i got admit I like the lil fella. Nice and scrubby, but soft.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I would try to stick with the Chubby 2 for awhile. If, after a period of test, you still think that it's too small for your liking you can replace it with a Chubby 3. The Chubby 3, compared to the 2, has a slightly larger knot and a longer loft. Hence, maintaining the same density, gives more bloom.

I would try to stick with the Chubby 2 for awhile. If, after a period of test, you still think that it's too small for your liking you can replace it with a Chubby 3. The Chubby 3, compared to the 2, has a slightly larger knot and a longer loft. Hence, maintaining the same density, gives more bloom.

Oh dont get me wrong, I actually enjoyed using her this morning......I can see why its the choice of all the simpson big wigs.....I mean, its not tiny by any means, only when compared to my boars.....I mean 30x70? how can a badger compare to that.....Im pretty happy with my choice, plus I just got my Shavemac DO1 2 bander in today, shes a 26 mm knot, from royal shave......Got plenty to play with now!!

My Chubby 2 in 3-band Super blooms a bit more than my Chubby 2 in Best. At the same time, the Super is more densely packed, so it is never floppy. They are both wonderful brushes.

More densely packed than the Best? Jeez, I dont think Id want a more desnsely packed brush to be honest....I believe that is the most overrated statistic of a brush IMO. You got any side by side pictures?

I just received my Chubby 2 2-Band from Chris at Shaving.ie and compared to the Chubby 2 in Best and Super 3-band, the 2-Band Chubby 2 is even smaller, I call it the Chubby 1½ :thumbup:
I like medium to large sized brushes, but more than 27-28 mm and a huge bloom is too much for me, my nostrils and my ears - I simply get lather all over, if I use something that big - especially since I only face lather.

That CH2 2 band is a great looking brush. I think I want one!

That CH2 2 band is a great looking brush. I think I want one!

It's a great 'little' brush, that Chubby 2 2-Bander :001_wub:

Comparable to my Duke 3 2-Bander, but a bit thicker knot and 2-3 mm higher loft. Handle on Chubby 2 is 2 mm shorter than the Duke 3 handle, but 3-4 mm thicker.
I enjoy both brushes equally much :thumbup:

Our sponsor in here on B&B, Chris from Shaving.ie sells the Simpson Chubby and Duke 2-Band Super brushes.

He's a super guy to deal with - I have no interest in recommending his shop other than because I know he has some great products in his shop and you can trust him 110%
From Ireland to Denmark typically takes maybe 2-3 days, so would guess from Ireland to the US might take 7-8 work days, just a guesstimate......:001_smile

Colonel!

Top Bottom