What's new

Choices and need help

Honestly I have never tried it on a wedge but if you tape the spine exactly the same on the balsa as on the finishing film or stone, I see no reason why it wont work. I say this because taping the spine of a wedge, at least for the finish, is almost universal. The spine must be lifted if you want a well finished edge on a full wedge. At least that is my experience on the matter. I will disclaimerize by stating that I have nowhere near the level of experience with wedges that some other members have.

And this is yet another reason why I personally prefer hollowgrounds. I hit the .1u diamond on balsa after every shave. Who wants to routinely tape a razor every time it is used? And take pains to perfectly center the tape every time? And what about the vinyl swarf accumulating in the grain of my balsa?

By all means, try it, but do report back on your results, and add to our knowledge base.

I agree with these points. Maybe I'm biased. I exclusively used hollowground, round point Sheffield razors for a couple of decades. Perhaps I'm just used to them. They are versatile, shave well and are easy to maintain.

I've started to collect fancier razors. For sheer performance though I know what works best for me.

Top Bottom